Couple startup questions!

Options
mjc8080
mjc8080 Posts: 30 Member
So I am on and off to MFP, and I need to lose between 100-150 lbs to hit goal. Some say I should put my goal at 2lbs a week, some say 1lb a week. What do you think is best for someone who loves food and is afraid of cutting back with eating less? 2lbs sounds better as it would be faster and encourage me with faster results, but 1lb a week is still good, right?

Also, for someone who has to lose over 100 lbs, does joining a gym even make sense right now? Or should I get my eating under control, start losing weight, and then join a gym to do some cardio and lift weights? Or skip the gym totally and focus on maybe just walks around the block?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    start with logging a normal day... then try and hit maintenance, then reduce your cals to lose 1lb per week. if you're happy with it, go for 1.5lb or 2lb.

walking is a really good place to start.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Depend which you find more sustainable, losing weight faster can make it harder to stick to and maintenance more difficult. So although fast results can be more motivating, it's no good losing say 20lbs in 2 months but then quitting because you can't stick with it as opposed to losing 50lbs in a year and feeling less restricted.

Personally I would start with walking and if you're medically fit enough some bodyweight exercises at home. Also just try to move a little more in general through the day, take stairs instead of escalator/elevator, if you drive park a little further away, if you take a bus get off a stop early. etc.

The little things all add up.
  • MrsRachaelFisk1
    MrsRachaelFisk1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Depend which you find more sustainable, losing weight faster can make it harder to stick to and maintenance more difficult. So although fast results can be more motivating, it's no good losing say 20lbs in 2 months but then quitting because you can't stick with it as opposed to losing 50lbs in a year and feeling less restricted.

Personally I would start with walking and if you're medically fit enough some bodyweight exercises at home. Also just try to move a little more in general through the day, take stairs instead of escalator/elevator, if you drive park a little further away, if you take a bus get off a stop early. etc.

The little things all add up.

This is amazing advice and I'd highly recommend the same. 2lbs per week sounds great, but it isn't always sustainable.

I would however recommend enquiring at a local gym - one that has on site personal trainers - what they would recommend. Almost every PT will sit down and have a really good chat with you about your goals and how they recommend starting your journey, and every gym legally has to give you an induction to show you how to use the equipment. It's a great place to start.

Good luck with everything! You're going to do amazing!

Always here if you need some motivation - I'll add you as a friend!

x
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    2 lbs per week is reasonable (for now) if you have 100 lbs more more to lose.
    It is not going to be sustainable, nor will it be linear or consistent.

Yes, joining a gym and focusing on the compound barbell lifts (like in "StrongLifts5x5" or "Thinner Leaner Stronger") is one of the best things you can do for your health and quality of life.
    The longer you wait to start a proper weight training program, the more you will regret not starting sooner.
    Dumbbell stuff does not count. Not even close.

But you need to develop the discipline and dedication to stick to whatever changes are necessary.
    What you can do and what you are willing to do to make it happen may be two different things.