Women over 50 with injuries/exercise limitations

Options

Replies

• chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Bad knees and diabetic. Blood sugar is out of control.In order to have knee surgery I must lose 100 lbs and of course get my blood sugar stabilized. Would help if I could walk more.but I've begun to shuffle,barely lifting my feet due to knee pain. I've joined the Y. Now if I can make it to the pool...

Where do you live In in NC and we have doctor's that don't care about your weight they say its hard to lose it before but afterward you can lose it. Maybe there are doctors like that where you live. Im going to get mine done as soon as we can get my achilles to stop hurting
  • grwardlaw
    grwardlaw Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Jgnatca, I was supposed to have a partial knee replacement in December. I postponed it due to the holidays and the fact I was in the middle of remodeling a bathroom and replacing all my floors. Not to mention I teach 3 year olds. I just couldnt be in rehab during this time. I just cant seem to do the things I enjoy and that's when the Dr says it's time. Otherwise he said he could co tune with shots as long as they help. Well the walking made my knee swell and then tonight I swam and certain kicks are now hurting. Anyway I asked if I could get PT For a little while to see if we could narrow down what's going on. I start on Wed the18th. So we will see.
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Bad knees and diabetic. Blood sugar is out of control.In order to have knee surgery I must lose 100 lbs and of course get my blood sugar stabilized. Would help if I could walk more.but I've begun to shuffle,barely lifting my feet due to knee pain. I've joined the Y. Now if I can make it to the pool...

I'll be having bilateral knee replacements in the near future. I could barely walk without walking sticks. I've been using a recumbent bike for a few months to strengthen my knees and leg muscles. The difference is amazing. I of course still have pain but no longer need sticks. I still need the surgery because of my longstanding obesity. I've lost 60lbs very slowly and have about 40 to go. I'm 65. I wish I had applied myself years ago. Recumbent bike wasn't too expensive and as it is at home it's easier to commit to.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    grwardlaw wrote: »
    Jgnatca, I was supposed to have a partial knee replacement in December. I postponed it due to the holidays and the fact I was in the middle of remodeling a bathroom and replacing all my floors. Not to mention I teach 3 year olds. I just couldnt be in rehab during this time. I just cant seem to do the things I enjoy and that's when the Dr says it's time. Otherwise he said he could co tune with shots as long as they help. Well the walking made my knee swell and then tonight I swam and certain kicks are now hurting. Anyway I asked if I could get PT For a little while to see if we could narrow down what's going on. I start on Wed the18th. So we will see.

It sounds like you are doing what you need to do.

Your knee is saying the amount of walking you are doing is too much. Dial it back. And RICE it.

Summer is ideal for surgery considering your occupation.
  • grwardlaw
    grwardlaw Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm down 7 pounds. But I am having a stress attack and feeling I need something sweet! Heeeelllp!
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options

I've been in the exact same position.... luckily I had a DR refer me to a surgeon for knee replacement even though I was 288 lbs.

Walking and even standing wasn't an option so I started on a recumbent bike and rowing machine.

But it was really committing to weighing & logging my food daily and keeping to my calorie deficit that made the difference. I'm happy to say I'm scheduled for a double knee replacement in January. Can hardly wait to be pain free. :):)
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    grwardlaw wrote: »
    I'm down 7 pounds. But I am having a stress attack and feeling I need something sweet! Heeeelllp!

Take a deep breath. Is a sweet really going to solve your stress? Try diverting your attention. When I get those feelings I like to clean something - windows, floors, counters, walls.

And I totally get trying to lose with having health issues - not going to go into the gory details but after 3 major operations in a year I now have to have (another!) disk in my neck replaced. And I had just lost the 20 pounds I gained from the last go around :'(

And congrats on the 7 pounds! That is awesome, you are doing something right!
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I Read You Loud and Clear!

I’m a 75yo woman who has had eight discs fused due to a back injury years ago. I have had both knees and my left hip replaced. While they were doing the hip replacement, they found a gluteus medius tendon that had apparently gotten detached a while ago.

I have not been able to strengthen enough to do without a cane. I also have shortness of breath - likely due to my weight and 36 years as a smoker, though I quit in 1995. I can do only about 750 steps on the average day.

I’m on a four month track pre-bypass surgery. I weighed 262 at the outset before I had my assessment appointment. I now weigh 253# and need to lose a total of at least twelve in the four months. I started this whole thing July 16th.

Since then I’ve seen a nutritionist and gotten lots of information, been to a group session for folks in Overlake’s weight management program, and have an appointment for a psychiatric evaluation, another appointment with a nutritionist, and two appointments with the surgeon to go.

I’m scared I won’t be able to make the changes, so looking for folks who are on this path is important, whether they’re just starting or several years past it.
  • trucker743
    Options
    By the way, how do I join this group?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @trucker743 you are responding to something called a "thread". It's not a group per se, and the comments are public. You joined the thread by commenting. You can keep commenting to this thread if you like.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    70 years old and had two major surgeries in three months so it's hard at the moment. Good luck to you all
  • trucker743
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @trucker743 you are responding to something called a "thread". It's not a group per se, and the comments are public. You joined the thread by commenting. You can keep commenting to this thread if you like.
    Thank you. Sounds like I've found the right place. I'm trying to follow my first month's guidelines and log my food and water every day. I do it after every meal or I'd forget. Exercise is tracked by my Fitbit, which is kind of sad, because on a good day I get in 750 steps.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Thanks for checking in @trucker743 . I'll tell you one of my fitness lessons. It doesn't matter where you start. You mark you own progress. I'm just now recovering from an ankle break in April.

Adding 10% activity to 750 steps would be 825 steps. Could you achieve 825 steps most days? That's a 10% improvement.
  • trucker743
    Options
    I can go 100-200 ft. before having to sit for a minute because I'm out of breath. Then I can go a shorter distance, then have to turn around and head back, which usually takes three stops. I do better just forcing myself to get up and do little things around my house.

I have a very expensive inhaler that I take daily, but that only gets me to where I am now. I have some cardiac problems as well, but not severe.

I like your plan, but think I’d do better with trying to find one more reason to get up and move. I have an app that may help me move around one more time in the evening if I add one more chore or activity to it.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    That’s what I like about the over 50 crowd. Realistic goals. You got it, lady.
  • trucker743
    Options
    r9c335m81d9i.jpg
    My typical morning activity level!😉
  • trucker743
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Lost 8# so far!

I’m stoked. I THINK it’s since July 20th. (Wrong! 5# since 7/20!)I am being very conscientious about logging my foods.

Yesterday was a travel day, and I did NOT plan well. 21-yo grandson wanted Taco Bell, and it was an important day for him, so - started with 2 tacos and then added a cheesy gorito crunch. Just as awful as it sounds! Then I was starved on the way home and everything was closed on the road. Big Mac!

It was not a very good day.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Knee pain here too. Have been getting cortisone shots in knees for the past 2 years. I also have a problem with my lower back and I have fibromyalgia. One thing I found that helps me is to just slow down. A couple of years ago, I could go for an hour or more at 3.6 on the treadmill, with a 5% incline. Those days are over, so I am slowing down and listening to my body. Even if you can only do 10 minutes of something at time, it's likely more than you have been doing - and 10 minutes several times a day can add up. That is my only solution right now.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I keep travel food with me. It could be a protein bar in my purse. It will be lower fat than fast food anyways.
  • alvarezzlaura804
    alvarezzlaura804 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've had these pains too, but it was at work. I was probably injured because I work in the shipping industry. I often cross paths with truck drivers and I can tell you that these symptoms are not only experienced by those who exercise hard or run in the morning. It's not always due to age. I recently contacted oxnerpermarlaw.com and received advice on workers' compensation for hardship. I know it's not a chemical plant where they pay more, but maybe someone can tell me how to get the right paperwork to get this compensation from the employer.