Stronglifts 5x5ers, Squat help?

Options
I recently started Stronglifts 5x5 and squats are KILLING me. I can't even use the bar.. just doing a proper squat all the way down 5x5 has me walking straight legged. I'm so tired of being sore... how long until your body gets used to it? And, what might be a good idea for slowly adding weight until I can get to squatting the bar? OR should I just use the bar and only do a few squats?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Body weight squats, then goblet squats, then bare bar, then bar with weight added. That's the beauty of SLs.

As for being sore, are you doing Stronglifts 3x a week? You'll be less sore as you get used to the new exercise. But if you only do squats once a week, you may get sore every single time. I never get sore any more, unless I take a week off or something.
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    this is why im going to start doing starting strength once I get back into lifting

3x5 is much more reasonable than 5x5 for a beginner
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Dern420 wrote: »
    this is why im going to start doing starting strength once I get back into lifting

Not really. 5x5 is meant for beginners too. What I would suggest is that once your progress slows down in 5x5 and you are in a deficit, switch to 3x5, if maintenance or surplus, stick with 5x5
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    breefoshee wrote: »
    I recently started Stronglifts 5x5 and squats are KILLING me. I can't even use the bar.. just doing a proper squat all the way down 5x5 has me walking straight legged. I'm so tired of being sore... how long until your body gets used to it? And, what might be a good idea for slowly adding weight until I can get to squatting the bar? OR should I just use the bar and only do a few squats?

You don't need to go all the way down...go parallel.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Body weight squats, then goblet squats, then bare bar, then bar with weight added. That's the beauty of SLs.

As for being sore, are you doing Stronglifts 3x a week? You'll be less sore as you get used to the new exercise. But if you only do squats once a week, you may get sore every single time. I never get sore any more, unless I take a week off or something.

^^^^^All of this!!!!
    Also, I used the straight curl bars before I graduated to the regular bar.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Goblet squats would be my recommendation. And yes, go to just below parallel.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    it helps me to warm up a lot beforehand. Not just doing squats w/ lower weight (or body weight even) but I have been taking an exercise band and putting it around my legs and doing "band kick backs" (I don't know if that's the name of them) and other things to get my legs and butt warmed up really well. I sit on my *kitten* all day at work so I think it's important for me to get warmed up really well. you can do goblet squats until you can do the bar. I stopped getting sore after a week or so. If you consistently do squats 3x a week you will stop getting sore. If you're only doing them every so often then you may get sore every time.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Quiksilver is right.
    Bodyweight squats
    Then goblet squats (Good because you are holding the weight in front of you, which helps with balance, which helps to learn to go to parallel, or a bit beyond.)
    Then the bar.
    Good luck.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    breefoshee wrote: »
    Goblet squats would be my recommendation. And yes, go to just below parallel.

Just to clarify, when you say "all the way down" do you mean ATG or parallel. You only need to get to parallel, and I know that for SOME beginners, getting all the way down to parallel is something that can take a little bit of work.

IF you're going ATG, that's not necessary, although doing 4 or 5 as a warmup/mobility drill won't hurt you any.

parallel=when the hip crease passes the knee; which actually will look like it's a bit below parallel
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Also, befriend the foam roller
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    xcozq42zejza.jpg

I do believe that first picture is the "normal" squat for about 90% of the guys at my old gym. So glad I am back in school and access to my University's training center - the trainers will call people out for crap form, and then work with you to fix it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I know this is about 5x5 but I still get sore doing even bodyweight and lifting exercises even after 5 years. maybe its like that for some people and not others? also what @nowine4me said about the foam roller. that helps tremendously. it does hurt at first but it does bring a LOT of relief.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Not really. 5x5 is meant for beginners too. What I would suggest is that once your progress slows down in 5x5 and you are in a deficit, switch to 3x5, if maintenance or surplus, stick with 5x5

I respectfully disagree. Mehdi just calls it a beginner program, but its overload of volume needed for a bare bone novice. I would definitely use it once form is dead set as well as the other factors of training and lifts are beginning to stall. Just not as a beginner.

If progress is being had with 3x5, why would you do more volume and stall out quicker? Save that volume for when you need it. Its well known that 3x5 is much better for recovery and has all the stimulas a novice needs.

5x5 is meant for post novice. When more stimulas is needed to drive adaptation.

What you are suggesting is to drop volume once progress slows when in fact you should increase since volume drives progress. A useful intensity is the only varible for optimal results.

OP, would suggest doing a lift that is closest to the back squat as possible and work up from there. Do you have access to a 15kg barbell? Something like pin or box squats at a depth you can hold form. If not possible, I might suggest starting you out on leg press for a couple weeks and build up your strength. Once things start moving in the right direction, then either swithch to barbell or start lowering the pins/box and go from there.
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    xcozq42zejza.jpg

I do believe that first picture is the "normal" squat for about 90% of the guys at my old gym. So glad I am back in school and access to my University's training center - the trainers will call people out for crap form, and then work with you to fix it.

Squatting parallel is not necessarily "good form."

Some people simply lack the flexibility and body mechanics to squat parallel.

So if they did try to squat deeper, what happens is that they end up getting "butt-wink" (back rounds, and pressure is put on the lumbar spine).

For them, they would get better results if they were to squat slightly just above parallel.

Of course, you could implement a daily stretching routine in order to improve your flexibility, but sometimes that is only treating the symptom and not the underlying cause.

The underlying cause could be a rotated pelvis, leg length discrepancy, SIJ misalignment... anything really... that's why it's best to spend the big bucks on an experienced physiotherapist or osteopath who can truly figure out what's wrong with your body.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I respectfully disagree. Mehdi just calls it a beginner program, but its overload of volume needed for a bare bone novice. I would definitely use it once form is dead set as well as the other factors of training and lifts are beginning to stall. Just not as a beginner.

If progress is being had with 3x5, why would you do more volume and stall out quicker? Save that volume for when you need it. Its well known that 3x5 is much better for recovery and has all the stimulas a novice needs.

What you are suggesting is to drop volume once progress slows when in fact you should increase since volume drives progress. A useful intensity is the only varible for optimal results.

OP, would suggest doing a lift that is closest to the back squat as possible and work up from there. Do you have access to a 15kg barbell? Something like pin or box squats at a depth you can hold form. If not possible, I might suggest starting you out on leg press for a couple weeks and build up your strength. Once things start moving in the right direction, then either swithch to barbell or start lowering the pins/box and go from there.

Re-read my post. I was talking about stalling while in a deficit, the 3x5 you would still increase weight when stalled at 5x5. Once you get into heavy weights, recovery is essential and in a deficit it is hard to do, which is why I suggest switching to 3x5 at that time.

I agree with what you are saying, if you are in a surplus or maintenance
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Re-read my post. I was talking about stalling while in a deficit, the 3x5 you would still increase weight when stalled at 5x5. Once you get into heavy weights, recovery is essential and in a deficit it is hard to do, which is why I suggest switching to 3x5 at that time.

I agree with what you are saying, if you are in a surplus or maintenance
    Ty for replying.

I understand your post fully. I disagree with your suggestion that when eating in a deficit one should lower volume by eliminating sets and increasing intensity. That is alot of useful stress to the muscles tossed away.

Less volume is a gauranteed recipe to strength loss as well as leads to more atrophy. Especially in a deficit. One doesn't give the muscle less stimulas, one gives it more at a rate that is easy to recover from.

My suggestion is to lower intensity slightly but still at a useful dosage and add volume of a set or two if needed. One recovers much easier at a lower intensity than a higher one.

Intensity does not drive strength it makes it harder to recover. Useful volume drives strength. Hence why powerlifters are spent and often toast after tapering and then performing in a meet because so much intensity with the smallest and amount of volume.