Eco-Friendly Moving help

emmies_123
emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
My hubby and I are moving by the end of the year and I'm starting to think of packing, to spread out the workload. Once we move a good chunk of items are likely going to stay in storage longterm (inside climate controlled part of house).

Does anyone have eco-friendly ideas for packing items that are likely to be stored in a closet long term? Trying to avoid putting everything in plastic boxes, although I know that is likely the best way to preserve some of it.

Items would be books, gaming systems and games (outside of original boxes), doll stuff.

Replies

• Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    @caco_ethes can provide some great advice on how to handle your belongings when moving.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    All you need is one little book for decluttering, lemme find it for ya
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    ‘Ere it is

0vpaqkthr54b.jpeg
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    We are retiring next year and moving to Vegas. After living in the same house for 30 years and raising 3 kids in that home. It is amazing how much stuff you collect over the years. It has been my goal for the last year and the forthcoming year to get rid of as much stuff as possible. I want to move as little as possible, but the task ahead of us seems insurmountable. Every week, when I have to set the trash out, I gauge how much room I have left in the Trash Can and proceed to fill it up. Hardly made a dent in the last year.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    emmies_123 wrote: »
    My hubby and I are moving by the end of the year and I'm starting to think of packing, to spread out the workload. Once we move a good chunk of items are likely going to stay in storage longterm (inside climate controlled part of house).

Does anyone have eco-friendly ideas for packing items that are likely to be stored in a closet long term? Trying to avoid putting everything in plastic boxes, although I know that is likely the best way to preserve some of it.

Items would be books, gaming systems and games (outside of original boxes), doll stuff.

Honestly, the most eco-friendly thing you can do is declutter. Sell what you can, donate what you can't. Pitch the rest in the trash. People hang onto too much crap requiring bigger homes, wasted resources to maintain such a home, or put into storage therefore paying monthly fees to store things you'll likely never look at again until it's time to move them.

I'd say @caco_ethes method is only slightly better than keeping the items due to the toxic fumes it gives off. But, it's a great way to declutter.

• InkgirlKC
    InkgirlKC Posts: 251 Member
    Old newspaper. It can be recycled.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Thank you InkGirl =)

To clarify situation a little better:
    -I have already de-cluttered as much as I can. What is going into storage are things that we cannot part with for sentimental reasons but also do not have room to display (and cannot be replaced if I want it back later). It is way too easy for a stranger to say "chuck it all out" when it is not their memories
    -House is already purchased, waiting for it to be built. We have made sure to include all eco-friendly options being offered, and will be installing solar panels. Doing the best we can to help the earth =)
    -Took some used cardboard moving boxes off a friend that recently moved so we will be recycling. Good for move, not for long term storage...

Looking for suggestions on packing materials/strategies so we avoid too much plastic and such. Growing up my parents bought plastic tubs of various sizes for everything, which preserves items but will be around forever. Worried of storing everything in cardboard though in case items get damaged over time...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    emmies_123 wrote: »

https://www.biblio.com/book-collecting/care-preservation/storing-books/
    This says the best way to store books is on shelves but gives some advice for storing in boxes.
    Maybe you can get or build some wood crates if you do not want plastic containers or cardboard. You can get lumber from a cast off bin or pallets to recycle.

My mom stored a lot of stuff in a cedar chest/trunk long term- fabric items, photos, papers, dishes, etc. Things stayed nice in there. It did not fit in a closet but was nice looking and you could sit on it or use it as a coffee table.