Help training for half marathon

Options
Avidkeo
Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
I am a regularish runner - I run +/-8km on the weekend, and around 4km most week days. I am doing a half marathon in November, and have 20 weeks to train properly. I did one years ago I didn't train for and always regretted it. My goal is to run the whole half (allowing for needing a toilet break and re-tieing shoes lol)

I have a 12 week training program I am keen to try, and will leave a few days after the training program to rest and have gentle runs in. that leaves me 7 weeks. Would I be best starting the training program now? its winter so I can see needing to rest a few times for illness (2 kids so avoiding colds is almost impossible). or just increase the length of my runs for the next couple of weeks then pick it up?

Ive done well to keep my pace at a good pace recently - aiming for 6:45 min/km which works well for me. I have managed to run 10k straight once, a month ago (have been sick a lot since then so haven't ran much in the last 3 weeks). the other option I was thinking of was I have a 10k training program, and I could jump in half way through that for a few weeks then start the half marathon training.

Tips, advice? Am I thinking too much about this? lol.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Which training plan do you have that doesn't include the taper?

Slowly increasing your long run for a few weeks is a good place to start.

I wouldn't worry about pace at this stage though
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you are probably thinking too much but that's fine. we all do

you can start now if you want and leave room for injury. i do it with three goals in mind. 1 goal that is a stretch, 1 that i think is pretty achievable, and 1 "the sky is falling" goal

make sure your shoes are up to the challenge, that they are well fitted and still have mileage left in them :smile:
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Sage Canaday is on YouTube and has great advice. He also has training plans that are very well thought out. His channel is called VO2maxproductions.
  • Avidkeo
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Which training plan do you have that doesn't include the taper?

Slowly increasing your long run for a few weeks is a good place to start.

I wouldn't worry about pace at this stage though

The reason I was worriying about the pace is when I started trying to stretch my 5k to 10k I was losing steam, and advice I had was my pace was too fast. I was doing just under 6 min/k so as soon as I dropped my pace I was able to more easily run the 8-10k I wias aiming for. Im doing
    the Run Double 1/2 marathon training program - its an app and is a distance training with various methods - some sprints, some long distances, that sort of thing. Everything I have read that was good training technique was included so I thought I'd give it a go.

ETA I think the rundouble training is the same as the beginning program on coolrunning.com so it includes a taper.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    you are probably thinking too much but that's fine. we all do

you can start now if you want and leave room for injury. i do it with three goals in mind. 1 goal that is a stretch, 1 that i think is pretty achievable, and 1 "the sky is falling" goal

make sure your shoes are up to the challenge, that they are well fitted and still have mileage left in them :smile:

lol thanks I like the 3 goals. The shoes are pretty good, best fit I've ever had, barely even notice I'm wearing them! I got them in April so should be OK, but I plan on getting another pair in the next few weeks so I have 2 pairs to alternate, given I plan on training no matter the weather because cant control the weather on the day
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    KevHex wrote: »
    Sage Canaday is on YouTube and has great advice. He also has training plans that are very well thought out. His channel is called VO2maxproductions.

Thanks! Ill check it out now.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I am a regularish runner - I run +/-8km on the weekend, and around 4km most week days. I am doing a half marathon in November, and have 20 weeks to train properly. I did one years ago I didn't train for and always regretted it. My goal is to run the whole half (allowing for needing a toilet break and re-tieing shoes lol)

I have a 12 week training program I am keen to try, and will leave a few days after the training program to rest and have gentle runs in. that leaves me 7 weeks. Would I be best starting the training program now? its winter so I can see needing to rest a few times for illness (2 kids so avoiding colds is almost impossible). or just increase the length of my runs for the next couple of weeks then pick it up?

Ive done well to keep my pace at a good pace recently - aiming for 6:45 min/km which works well for me. I have managed to run 10k straight once, a month ago (have been sick a lot since then so haven't ran much in the last 3 weeks). the other option I was thinking of was I have a 10k training program, and I could jump in half way through that for a few weeks then start the half marathon training.

You do seem to be overthinking it. Any good plan should include a taper, so adding your own will hurt your performance in the race.

A 12 week plan is long enough to develop you, but not so long that you risk being worn out.

I would suggest using the next seven weeks to increase your long run out to eight to ten miles and that will mean you're going into the HM plan well prepared. Ease of for a week before starting that though.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

You do seem to be overthinking it. Any good plan should include a taper, so adding your own will hurt your performance in the race.

A 12 week plan is long enough to develop you, but not so long that you risk being worn out.

I would suggest using the next seven weeks to increase your long run out to eight to ten miles and that will mean you're going into the HM plan well prepared. Ease of for a week before starting that though.

Thanks for this, and this really helps. My instinct was to do just that so nice to know my instincts are about right. I think Ill jump into the 10k trainer, half way through which is where I am at atm anyway, then do a couple of weeks of longer runs with hills then jump into the 12 week plan.