How to deal with impatience?

Options
13»

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I’m usually catching my breath after holding it for five reps under load between sets. Time well spent resting before next set.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I tend to pace between sets.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Start pulling sumo.

The setup time of walking to barbell, placing feet, pointing up to lifting gawds, taking in air, flirting with barbell, taking in air, pulling slack, taking in air, pumping hamm strings, standing back up to point to air gawds, repulling slack out, caressing barbell, screaming expletives, standing up, snarl face the recording camera because one cannot be cute if recording, take in air, pull slack, wiggle butt, regrip to hook grip, take in air, pull slack, stand up & tork, slap legs three times, point to cute girl, pull slack out of bar, wink at bench boys, take air in, check shoes are tied, and realize you never chalked up...

Log your workout, review vid form, make notes from review, read literature, change weight, etc...

There are plenty of things to multi task between sets in a short 90 second rest.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    ^ :D
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have this same exact issue. I have been doing HIIT, circuit training, boot camp, etc for years. I'm now working on Olympic Lifts and it kills me to spend so much time resting between sets. I'm not at all accustomed to having rest during a workout. I know my lifts suffer if I don't rest between sets, so I try to take my time increasing weight with each set, and I pace a lot. Sometimes I'll go through a "check-list" of the movements in my head, doing them in slow motion without the weight to pass the time and make sure my form is as ideal as I can get it. (things like: weight on heels, elbows high, where are your knees? keep your core tight, don't hold your breath).
  • seanlovegrove
    seanlovegrove Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Man I wish my rest sets were 90 seconds 😭 when I’m cutting I superset everything and never take a break. Now that I’m bulking the plan I’m on has me resting 3 mins between sets if I hit my goal of reps on the previous set and 4 mins if I don’t. It’s a pain in the *kitten* lol. I generally have a podcast going in my headphones and I tend to just focus in on that during my rest periods.
  • 3DCAKE
    3DCAKE Posts: 104 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    In between my set I will pick one of these... 45 pop squats, 25 step ups,30 alt lunges, 30 sec toe taps,30 jumping jacks....ect Then I will do 20 sit up's (I will change it up each rep).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Start pulling sumo.

The setup time of walking to barbell, placing feet, pointing up to lifting gawds, taking in air, flirting with barbell, taking in air, pulling slack, taking in air, pumping hamm strings, standing back up to point to air gawds, repulling slack out, caressing barbell, screaming expletives, standing up, snarl face the recording camera because one cannot be cute if recording, take in air, pull slack, wiggle butt, regrip to hook grip, take in air, pull slack, stand up & tork, slap legs three times, point to cute girl, pull slack out of bar, wink at bench boys, take air in, check shoes are tied, and realize you never chalked up...

Log your workout, review vid form, make notes from review, read literature, change weight, etc...

There are plenty of things to multi task between sets in a short 90 second rest.

You making fun of my setup, @chieflrg?!? :mad: :laugh:
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Start pulling sumo.

That's hilarious and too accurate.

I usually check work emails. But what someone said previously about visualization is golden. I did it recently to achieve two goals. The night before I laid in bed and visualized me hitting those goals and telling myself I was going to do it in the morning. And sure enough I did.