2»

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »
    my kids.

Good call. Better to have 1 or 2 good ones than 20 or 30 miserable ones.

My children are a PhD and the other is Business Owner...I guess my investment into my children PAID OFF huh?
  • Ymerdrys
    Ymerdrys Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Quality for sure. I'd rather save up for over 2-3 years and then buy the "real deal", rather than wasting money on having to buy everything twice.

And yeah people roll their eyes at people spending a shitload on bicycles. I own 4 by now, each has its own purpose, and the next one is gonna be one with a motor. As a student people cant grasp how I've managed to buy such fine road and mountain tools, but what people usually forget is that they use a ton of money on furnitures, clothes, designer stuff and partying.

I'm building my own furnitures, and I'm partying 1-2 times a year. Only buying new clothes when needed, and rest is used for saving up for outdoor adventures, and maintainance of the bikes of course. Wouldn't have it any other way :)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm a cycling enthusiast...so yeah, my bike.

Some people think I spent an obscene amount of money on my bike until I tell them how much the really high end one's go for. I won't go that far...I'm not a pro...but I have a pretty nice carbon road bike.

I also have 2 bikes. My other is for racing cyclocross.

same here.

my road bike wasn't a cheap date, but it still is a lot cheaper than cardiac by-pass surgery.
    (plus my upgraded wheelset cost more than a lot of complete bikes)

I'm sort of a bike nerd. (two road bikes and two mountain bikes )

there's nothing quite like a new bike.....

a new bike, as a kid, it's your first sense of freedom:

"Okay, you can go past the stop sign and around the corner, but no further."

"Thanks mom!" ( then on the first ride, stretch that into 5 stops signs and 7 corners ).

a new bike also rekindles that sense of freedom.

the other splurge, audio gear..... always looking for that sweet, sweet sound, plus that constant search for an epic, pristine & vintage jazz LP.

I justify a lot of this by eating well & not drinking, smoking or doing drugs.

Keeping healthy frees up quite a bit of money for other things.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    Foil. Reynolds Wrap all the way.

100% Pure Maple Syrup. Step aside, peasants.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Watches

okay, this too

but this can become real dangerous ($$$), real quick, so there is no impulse purchases here.

and shoes....

yeah, shoes might be considered a problem.

(I just opened up a new pair 30 minutes ago. They were half priced, so I purchased them with the money I saved.... so they were essentially "free".)
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    kam26001 wrote: »
    Foil. Reynolds Wrap all the way.

Roscoe Agrees !

36310024_mg_1536_162.jpg
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    denny_mac wrote: »
    working girls. you definitely get what you pay for.

thank you for using working girls in the plural.

it's good that you're doing your part to keep our unemployment rates nice & low.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I understand that not everyone has the means to afford the finest quality in all aspects of their life - least of all myself. But what is something that you are willing to splurge on to get utmost quality in return? You don’t have to disclose the amount of money you spent on said thing or experience. Please, no bragging about dollar amounts. Just tell us your “thing,” whatever it may be :)

Quality over quantity for family always is paramount ... Right now - the priority focus is our city heritage home. It has survived political volatility and back-to-back category 3 - 5 hurricanes. The new builds are necessary.
  • hud54014
    hud54014 Posts: 3,777 Member
    Options
    My skincare regimine is the only thing I can say that I splurge on for myself. I'll do just about anything I can for my kids. Otherwise, my spending is pretty minimal.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would probably buy a more expensive higher quality version of something that is going to last and get a lot of use.
    My dh buys a more expensive brand of pants because they are much more durable. He tries to get them on sale or on e-bay. The sale price is still more than a full price pair of lesser quality pants usually.
    Dd and I get a lot of clothes at the thrift store. We are not as tough on clothes and often there are quality clothes that have almost zero wear there for very cheap.

I do not buy the cheapest aluminum foil. That stuff is worthless.