Am I going too "extreme"?

Options
Hey all!

I'm a complete and total newbie when it comes to health, fitness, and weight loss. I'm a whole week and 3 days into my new journey of weight loss because I'm about 80lbs overweight. I have been tracking my daily exercise, food, and water intake here on my fitness pal, and I eat the necessary calories calculated for me each day (1,200cal). For my "workouts" (I'm just getting started, dont judge) I have been walking at a normal pace doing laps to get myself used to being active. My goal right now is to walk 5 miles a day (it's a fairly easy walk). Im not starving myself. I'm not pushing myself to exhaustion. I'm not in pain. So here's my problem:
A person very close to my is putting me down and making me feel bad for the new lifestyle I'm trying to live. They say its extreme, unhealthy, and too much for me. They say 1,200 calories is starvation and ridiculous. It's making me feel terrible.
To the people who know a thing or two about fitness, am I going overboard? Am I just right? Or should I step it up?
Thank you!
-Tawnie

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

I'm a complete and total newbie when it comes to health, fitness, and weight loss. I'm a whole week and 3 days into my new journey of weight loss because I'm about 80lbs overweight. I have been tracking my daily exercise, food, and water intake here on my fitness pal, and I eat the necessary calories calculated for me each day (1,200cal). For my "workouts" (I'm just getting started, dont judge) I have been walking at a normal pace doing laps to get myself used to being active. My goal right now is to walk 5 miles a day (it's a fairly easy walk). Im not starving myself. I'm not pushing myself to exhaustion. I'm not in pain. So here's my problem:
    A person very close to my is putting me down and making me feel bad for the new lifestyle I'm trying to live. They say its extreme, unhealthy, and too much for me. They say 1,200 calories is starvation and ridiculous. It's making me feel terrible.
    To the people who know a thing or two about fitness, am I going overboard? Am I just right? Or should I step it up?
    Thank you!
    -Tawnie

As long as you're eating the calories you're earning for the 5 mile walk, I don't see anything extreme.

5 miles is a lot to jump in to, especially at a moderate pace(1-2 hours of your day) but if it fits your schedule.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is on the low side. I also have 80lbs left to lose and my bare minimum is 1200 calories, but I tend to go more in to the 1400-1600 range on days when I'm active. It's still putting me at a 1000 calorie deficit (approx. 2lb per week loss) but I'm much better fueled.

1200 is the bare minium, you really should eat at least a few hundred calories more, you want to make sure that as you progress through your journey that you have some wiggle room in your calorie count, otherwise the closer you get to goal, the more strict you'll have to be.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    With 80 pounds to lose, you could probably increase your daily calories and still lose at a nice rate. The problem with diving headlong into 1200 calories + increased activity (especially if you aren't eating at least a portion of those calories back) is that while it may work for a while, and you'll swear you feel great, eventually it won't be sustainable. 80 pounds will not melt off in a few months. This is a long-term investment in your health and an important time for you to work on building new habits that you can carry with you into maintenance so you never have to lose 80 pounds again.
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Echoing what everyone else is saying, ultimately it boils down to what feels right for you. 1,200 is the bare minimum amount of calories you should be consuming. When I was eating 1,200 calories, I was hovering around 145 pounds and couldn't for the life of me lose weight. I ended up upping my calories (I think to 1,600- it's been a while so I don't remember exactly). But moral of the story, sometimes eating more calories will end up getting you where to want to be better than the minimum. One you take into consideration what you're losing from walking, you're running the risk of conusming too few calories for the day, which can ultimately halt and even reserve progress.

Best of luck!
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    You can eat a bit more than that and still lose. I ate 150 calories more than that a day to lose weight with only 10 lbs to lose. It's not that you're "extreme" or there's anything wrong with that, it's just harder than it needs to be fore you to achieve your goals.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

Thank you!
    -Tawnie

For a real answer, we need to know your stats. For the average height woman, 1,200 is going to be quite low - but if you're 5' and under (like me) it's what's necessary to lose weight if you aren't extremely active. It is NOT starvation mode by any means though. Especially when you aren't training like crazy. When you're working with a fitness or healthy lifestyle, people are always going to judge. I've been judged because I lift for 2+ hours a day, do more than 30-minutes of cardio, eat carbs, weigh my food, still eat out, drink alcohol, etc. But guess what, I know what works for me so I don't give a *kitten* what anyone else thinks. Do you. If 1,200 cals + 5 mile walks are getting you to your goal and you aren't exhausted or starving, then keep at it.
  • brookekaczor
    brookekaczor Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight starting at 1200 calories and ate my exercise calories back. I think you can do it as long as you account for your 5 miles a day. I counted 100 calories per mile when I was heavier so often ate 1700 when I did mileage like that. It's very doable with exercise. Without I would have struggled quite a bit but with good food choices you can do it. Keep it up. BTW I have lost 75 lbs and am just below my goal weight. :) PS I'm 5'10.5"
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @AlphaditeStrong How tall are you? That matters when discussing your excess weight and your weight loss calorie budget.
  • AlphaditeStrong
    AlphaditeStrong Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
  • rueruechika86
    rueruechika86 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    1. Even though MFP calculates your daily calories, it wouldn't hurt to try find online calculator where you can manually enter your age/gender/height/weight/activity factor. This might give a different goal depending on how much you want to lose per week. In time you'll learn that eating more than 1200 cal will not derail you as long as you maintain a caloric deficit.
    2. Listen to your body. It sounds like you're not straining yourself, but as you get more active you'll want to push yourself more. Know your limits. Compete with yourself not with other people.
    3. Sometimes it's best to keep personal fitness goals to yourself. At least at first...once you start looking different, people will want to know how you're doing it. Untill then, naysayers will try discourage you.
  • AlphaditeStrong
    AlphaditeStrong Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I appreciate your responses, and received a lot of helpful information.

Thank you!