Coworkers

Options
happytree923
happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
edited June 2018 in Motivation and Support
I'm the youngest person (by a lot) in my office and I've noticed now that I'm down 40 pounds and visibly smaller, coworkers are insisting I take home leftovers from special meals or desserts almost every time we have them. This is usually accompanied with a 'young metabolism' comment, that I should take the food because they'll gain weight if they take it. My metabolism wasn't so young eight months ago... I'm getting really annoyed at taking the food home because the food gifter won't stop and then throwing it away. I know it comes from a very good place, and the solution is to just stand up for myself, but I'm annoyed and need to vent. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I will either take it if it's something my son will eat, he's 8, or I say my family won't eat it if it's been opened because my guy is picky. I've also point blank said young metabolism or not I've been doing well losing weight and this won't help. Depends on the situation
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Tell them no thanks and if they continue tell them to stop
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I would just say no thanks, I don’t have a use for it.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Have you explained that you have worked hard to lose weight and that the food gifts are unwanted?
  • mamasara2
    mamasara2 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @aimeetu that made me giggle-snort

Some of us old folks have a weird notion that young people are always going without food. My family seems to get together around eating so I've been avoiding family get togethers as much as possible. You can't exactly do that, since the pushers are at work. Taking the food to appease the lady and then tossing it is probably something I would do as well, so I'm not much help. 😄
  • happytree923
    Options
    mamasara2 wrote: »
    @aimeetu that made me giggle-snort

Some of us old folks have a weird notion that young people are always going without food. My family seems to get together around eating so I've been avoiding family get togethers as much as possible. You can't exactly do that, since the pushers are at work. Taking the food to appease the lady and then tossing it is probably something I would do as well, so I'm not much help. 😄

I really think your first sentence is why they’re doing it, even though I have home cooked food all the time! It’s coming from a caring place and I really like my coworkers so I’d feel terrible being sassy about it to make them stop.
  • happytree923
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Drop their food off at a homeless food kitchen on your way home, no food wasted and then you'll feel better :-)

Will food kitchens accept partially eaten food? It’s stuff like one third of a birthday cake, three leftover tacos from a platter, etc. I thought that kind of stuff can’t be donated for food safety reasons.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Drop their food off at a homeless food kitchen on your way home, no food wasted and then you'll feel better :-)

Will food kitchens accept partially eaten food? It’s stuff like one third of a birthday cake, three leftover tacos from a platter, etc. I thought that kind of stuff can’t be donated for food safety reasons.

I'm not sure, may depend where you live. But around here there's always poor homeless people on the side of the road begging, I'm sure one of them would be grateful at least? And if a coworker caught you they aren't going to be mad at you for doing it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Throw it away at work.

"But I don't want to offend them." If you have declined the food and they force it in you, they don't care about offending you. Stop worrying about their feelings.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Throw it away at work.

"But I don't want to offend them." If you have declined the food and they force it in you, they don't care about offending you. Stop worrying about their feelings.

I live in Texas, this is a cultural thing and they genuinely believe they are being caring. I’m not going to make a mountain out of a molehill and risk damaging relationships with coworkers. Getting along at work is about picking your battles wisely.

I feel your pain. I live in North Florida and it is the same situation. Tell them no thank you enough and they will get the picture. Or, just take it home and say thanks and give it to a hobo. lol
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I have stopped to give to a homeless guy or two. I always make sure I have plastic forks in my glove box too. They think I am taking it home but there are many hungrier than I deserve to be!
    I have also passed by trash bins and dumped it as well. Better in the trash then in me!
  • dsboohead
    Options
    Smile say thankyou and do step 1 or 2 as above^^^^.
  • dsboohead
    Options
    I have seen the homeless scarf down what I have offered..... :'(
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I like this option. When I backpacked Europe and south america, people would always hassle you for things, if you learn one foreign word, I would recommend, “nyet”. Say it in the scariest Russian accent you can. I know it will make gypsies run like kitten! lol
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Throw it away at work.

I live in Texas, this is a cultural thing and they genuinely believe they are being caring. I’m not going to make a mountain out of a molehill and risk damaging relationships with coworkers. Getting along at work is about picking your battles wisely.

Do they track your every movement? I'm not saying you need to stand in the middle of the office and throw it in the trash. I'm saying take the food, go back to your desk, and put it in your trash can before you leave. I've done it myself. The "cultural thing" is BS. People are food pushers this everywhere. Texas is not special in that respect.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I've always been very effusive in thanking people for x item and then saying "NO...really" to y and z items. It seems to work. They will learn you're the one who could care less about donuts or tacos but will always happily accept that leftover blackberry cobbler (for example).
  • Neiross1
    Neiross1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Throw it away at work.

100% agree, i wish I didnt piss people off it made my job harder. Short and sweet no thank you is the best you can do.