Hot weather and fluid retention

Options
I’ve been reading that hot weather can cause fluid retention, the article says this:

Hot weather is a common cause of fluid retention. The heat causes blood vessels to expand, to encourage heat loss, and body fluid moves into the hands and legs as a simple result of gravity. This explains why the rings on your fingers become harder to remove on a hot, beach holiday, yet worryingly loose as soon as you jump in the pool.

So for everyone in the UK during this long spell of really hot weather be aware that the scales may not be kind but stick with your diet and exercise and ignore the scales

Replies

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I really hope this is true my weight has been up and down like a Toyota for about 2 weeks but I've had 1k or more deficit every day except one but I was still under and I weight and log everything :( really frustrating feeling like I'm doing everything right and getting nowhere
  • jorichards2
    jorichards2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I’ve found that as well which is why I did some research. Try recording your body measurements instead, mine are still slowly decreasing even if my weight isn’t.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Interesting. As I posted in my thread I'm a 252lb man eating 1930 calories per day, in fact over the past 4 days they've been 1730, 1900, 2000 and 1850 net and my weight has stayed the same at 252 for 5 days now. I've taken on board everything that was said in that thread but this is also interesting.
  • summpear
    summpear Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've wondered if this has contributed to a slow month for me, too. There are so many variables that it's really hard to pinpoint things or know when it is things in your control, or things out of your control. Only time will really tell.
  • Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks! This makes me feel better about my 9 day plateau. I know I'm still doing all the right things, just got to wait it out but its so annoying. I couldn't figure out the stall as it wasn't any of the usual culprits (TOM, injury, salt etc).

I'll do some measurements tomorrow, its a week early (I do them monthly) but hopefully they will have budged a bit.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    It's been in the triple digits since May for me. I drink A LOT of water (and up my sodium because if it). I can "lose" 5lbs in a few hours working outdoors (99% water 1% minerals), but I drink that water right back. I'm not sure if it's necessarily hot whether that may lead to retention, or simply that people that live in hot climates (particularly desert dwellers) drink a lot more water and increase salt due to the severe risk of dehydration.
  • Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    In the UK we're just not used to hot weather for this long. It's usually a brief spell of sunshine then back to cloudy, rainy and windy. Sometimes all that on the same day. There's a reason why we stereotypically talk about the weather a lot, it changes a lot!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    It's likely that heat will also raise heart rate, so heart-rate-based fitness devices may estimate more calories than usual for any given workout. (Heart rate is a proxy for calorie burn, not a measurement of calorie burn. Many things raise heart rate, even when no extra calories are being burned. Heat is one of these things.)

How much distortion? Don't know. ;)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I find that really hot weather (90 to 100 F around here for highs for the next 10 days --- I realize it's only about 80 in the UK} suppresses my appetite, at least during the day if I'm out in it. I was out pretty much all day today, and until the sun went down about the only things I could stand were water, other unsweetened, uncaffeinated, nonalcoholic tepid or cold drinks, high-liquid fruits like watermelon, and a little fruit-flavored soft-serve frozen yogurt.

If I'm gaining weight under these conditions, I'm going to feel safe assuming it's water weight.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,854 Member
    Options
    Lots of thing cause a person to retain water including heat, sunburn, flights, TOM, salt, lack of salt, more exercise than usual ...

This is one of the reasons why we say that weight loss isn't linear. There are lots of factors affecting what goes on.