Sugars in fruit

Options
Confused about sugars in fruit, my daily total is reached quickly but I am eating fruit. One pear is more than hslf my daily total. Surely fruit sugar should be better than say, a doughnut.

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    glad you asked. the fruit and veggies i eat get me close to my sugar limit (based only on mfp stats) and then my sweet snacks put me over. but it isn't causing any issues per say so I've more r less igored that. My fruit also help me top over the carb limit.
  • sbushby68
    sbushby68 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    sbushby68 wrote: »
    Confused about sugars in fruit, my daily total is reached quickly but I am eating fruit. One pear is more than hslf my daily total. Surely fruit sugar should be better than say, a doughnut.

Sugar is sugar....the difference between a donut and fruit isn't the sugar, it is the other nutritional content. That said fruit doesn't have all that much nutritional value relative to a lot of other foods anyway...it is mostly a treat.

Why are you concerned about sugar?

Concerned because I am type 2 diabetic, I am losing weight by limited calories but sugar still goes above my recommended 56g per day. I tend to have one piece of fruit a day and diabetic website says fructose (fruit sugar) breaks down slower than Sucrose, found in sweets etc. Still trying to get a standard view. Too many differences.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Bottom line though if you have a medical condition affected by your diet you should be addressing your questions to your doctor not to an internet forum otherwise you risk getting bad advice.
  • sbushby68
    sbushby68 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bottom line though if you have a medical condition affected by your diet you should be addressing your questions to your doctor not to an internet forum otherwise you risk getting bad advice.

I have done, but I also look at so called healthstyle websites which have varying views. Just interested in other people's views. I do monitor my blood, just curious. Thanks.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I have done, but I also look at so called healthstyle websites which have varying views. Just interested in other people's views. I do monitor my blood, just curious. Thanks.

Any Joe Schmoe can put up a "health" website, lots of folks pretend to be experts so they can sell you something. Choose your sources carefully :drinker:
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    Only your glucose meter can tell you what and how much to eat of any certain thing.

There is much wisdom here. People react to different things in different ways. You might find an apple causes the BG to spike and stay high or it might barely create a blip with very quick recovery. I say start watching the meter and let it tell you.

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Sugar is sugar....the difference between a donut and fruit isn't the sugar, it is the other nutritional content. That said fruit doesn't have all that much nutritional value relative to a lot of other foods anyway...it is mostly a treat.

Why are you concerned about sugar?

Concerned because I am type 2 diabetic, I am losing weight by limited calories but sugar still goes above my recommended 56g per day. I tend to have one piece of fruit a day and diabetic website says fructose (fruit sugar) breaks down slower than Sucrose, found in sweets etc. Still trying to get a standard view. Too many differences.

I'm also a type 2 diabetic. My A1c right now is 4.7 without medication other than metformin, and I eat fruit every day. The ADA recommends diabetics eat fruit. Fruit also does not spike my blood glucose (not a guess, this is according to my meter) when eaten in moderation, due to the fiber content.

It's untrue or at least misleading to say sugar is sugar. For one thing, the RDA given on MFP is supposed to be for ADDED sugars, not natural ones, so counting fruit against it is wrong according to the people who made up the number in the first place. For another thing, how quickly sugar is metabolized and how it affects blood glucose is absolutely dependent on the food that is eaten with it. Not to mention that different diabetics have different tolerances for the same food. Some can eat fruit and some can't.

As a type 2 diabetic you should not be guessing whether you are eating too much fruit. Get a meter with cheap strips and test an hour and two hours after eating each new food until you KNOW your own tolerances.

This seems like particularly good advice. Apologies if I overstated that sugar is sugar. Clearly fructose and glucose are not identical and although they may be the same in terms of calorie counts going off the recommendations of experts in the field for diabetics seems advisable. I didn't mean to suggest that fruit was something to avoid entirely...just that it wasn't free in terms of sugar.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I tend to subtract the fruit sugar I eat from my total sugar intake and go by that #.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I am not diabetic and don’t have a medical reason to track sugar. But I often try to pair fruit with some sort of protein (often dairy) because I find it curbs my hunger better that way.

I have a diabetic friend who often is looking at the fiber content to determine “net carbs”, but I don't have first hand experience there. I am hopeful someone with diabetes will chime in to explain “net carbs” in layperson terms. I am very curious and would like to learn more about how to plan snacks and be supportive when with diabetic friends at potlucks etc.