Surviving Burnout?

Options
Well, as some of you predicted, after slamming it hard for 4 months, I realized today, I may have reached burnout.

I am at the point where I am trying to gear down the activity level to a more sustainable long-term lifetime level. But. I feel like I am slacking off. So on the one hand I know I need to ratchet it down, but on the other hand I am scared that this means I am going to go back to being a couch potato.

On some level I realize that this is my "all or nothing" way of looking at things, but I am struggling with normalizing my life after being so focused on upping my activity level and monitoring my intake.

(I labeled what I am going through burnout, because I chose activities that I knew I loved and could sustain for life, yet I find myself making excuses on the one hand, and on the other, berating myself if I do a 1.5 hour hike instead of my usual 3 hour treks. But, then, I realized I enjoyed myself just as much.)

Any tips for getting past this transition period?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Can you plan a moderate exercise regimen? Then you'll actually have something to follow, something to aim for. You could plan other, non-exercise, activities too, if you feel you're not doing "enough".
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs rest, everyone, rest or go easy for a week or 2, then reevaluate.
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Can you plan a moderate exercise regimen? Then you'll actually have something to follow, something to aim for. You could plan other, non-exercise, activities too, if you feel you're not doing "enough".
    Everyone needs rest, everyone, rest or go easy for a week or 2, then reevaluate.

Thank you for the replies/suggestions. I have been (and continue to) try working on both.