Should I use intermittent fasting for the last 10 pounds?

Options
I've lost about 50-55 pounds in a year or so. The last 10 have stalled out. Thinking of doing intermittent (8/16) to lost the last bit. Has anyone had success with this? I want to make sure I'm able to go back to calorie counting without gaining anything back after losing with IF. Any input?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you want to keep losing weight, you need to keep a calorie deficit. The lower your weight, the smaller calorie deficit is possible, and the slower the loss. Meal timing is inconsequential.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you're having adherence problems, then maybe IF would be okay for the last 10 lbs (or however many you want). If you're not having adherence problems, I'm not really sure what you expect from IF.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Congrats on your major loss! MFP recommended goal for last 10 lbs is 0.5 per week. You don't need a gizmo plan to do that, just accurate logging. This is also the best way to prep for Maintenance. I suggest you eat the way you plan to eat for maintenance, ie, the rest of your life. That's what will set you up for long term success!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    If intermittent fasting is a good fit for your eating habits, there's no reason not to use it. Some people find it makes it easier to stick to their calorie goals. But other than that, it won't make you lose the weight any faster or more efficiently. Weight loss is about how many calories you eat, not what time you eat them.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Your doctor doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Calorie is a calorie regardless of when you eat it
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Regarding medical doctors not knowing what they're talking about ... A 2016 study found that medical programs in the state of Ohio "...averaged 2.8 hours of instruction on obesity, nutrition and physical activity counseling, and only 42 percent of them taught the residents techniques for how to perform health behavior counseling..." 2.8 hours is the equivalent of a single course.

Source: https://health.usnews.com/wellness/food/articles/2016-12-07/how-much-do-doctors-learn-about-nutrition

The point is some GPs may choose to do extra study in nutrition and wellness, but they don't have to. As others have said, most don't know a lot about it. Ditto with psychology. A responsible M.D. in my opinion will refer you to a nutritionist for help with obesity, or if you have an eating disorder, refer you to a mental health professional who specializes in eating disorders. A medical doctor can't be an expert in everything related to the human organism and a doctor who is arrogant enough to believe otherwise is in my opinion unethical - medical and mental health professionals are bound by their code of ethics to operate within the boundaries of their expertise.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Regarding medical doctors not knowing what they're talking about ... A 2016 study found that medical programs in the state of Ohio "...averaged 2.8 hours of instruction on obesity, nutrition and physical activity counseling, and only 42 percent of them taught the residents techniques for how to perform health behavior counseling..." 2.8 hours is the equivalent of a single course.

Source: https://health.usnews.com/wellness/food/articles/2016-12-07/how-much-do-doctors-learn-about-nutrition

The point is some GPs may choose to do extra study in nutrition and wellness, but they don't have to. As others have said, most don't know a lot about it. Ditto with psychology. A responsible M.D. in my opinion will refer you to a nutritionist for help with obesity, or if you have an eating disorder, refer you to a mental health professional who specializes in eating disorders. A medical doctor can't be an expert in everything related to the human organism and a doctor who is arrogant enough to believe otherwise is in my opinion unethical - medical and mental health professionals are bound by their code of ethics to operate within the boundaries of their expertise.

In the US, an MD will generally refer you to a Registered Dietitian (board certified professional), not a nutritionist (job title with no specific requirements).
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »

Another study which showed that, on average, doctors in U.S. medical schools receive less than 24 hours of instruction on nutrition: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430660/