Minimum Daily Net Calories?

Options
Hello all,

I’ve been trying to research what my minimal net calorie (rather than total calorie intake as I weight lift and/or run almost daily) intake would be to have the greatest calorie deficit while avoiding any repercussions in regards to brain breakdown (not that i plan on going that low, it’s more a mixture of intellectual curiosity and peace of mind.)

I have read a “one size fits all” number of 500 and I have also read a formula of [31 x (body fat in pounds)] is the maximum calorie deficit you should have.

Thoughts? Links? Thanks!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    1200 for women, 1500 for men
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

I'm 5 foot 10, and female, and my basal metabolic rate is 1335 calories.

1200 is too far too low for a lot of women.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I’ve been trying to research what my minimal net calorie (rather than total calorie intake as I weight lift and/or run almost daily) intake would be to have the greatest calorie deficit while avoiding any repercussions in regards to brain breakdown (not that i plan on going that low, it’s more a mixture of intellectual curiosity and peace of mind.)

I have read a “one size fits all” number of 500 and I have also read a formula of [31 x (body fat in pounds)] is the maximum calorie deficit you should have.

Thoughts? Links? Thanks!

How tall are you, and how much do you weigh now?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »

I'm 5 foot 10, and female, and my basal metabolic rate is 1335 calories.

1200 is too far too low for a lot of women.

This too. OP, I have an active job and can’t eat below 1500. Eating more than the minimum is better in the long run, especially since you’re lifting.
  • briannasnyder12
    briannasnyder12 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Thoughts? Links? Thanks!

I am 5’4, 147 pounds. I have tried losing weight with 1300 net calories, however, seem to just maintain at that amount. I suppose my question is what the minimum number of calories someone can eat per day is, although I do not intend to eat that few at all. Mostly intellectual curiosity
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    You should stick with the averages for your stats and activity level until you have established a good baseline. If you pick a different and lower number by some other criteria you risk undereating. At first you may experience a dip in performance or a lower energy level but if you don't connect the dots the truly nasty repercussions of undereating are cumulative and they can take months to appear.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Thoughts? Links? Thanks!

I am 5’4, 147 pounds. I have tried losing weight with 1300 net calories, however, seem to just maintain at that amount. I suppose my question is what the minimum number of calories someone can eat per day is, although I do not intend to eat that few at all. Mostly intellectual curiosity

Did you use a food scale? How long did you give it? You don't have much to lose, so you shouldn't be expecting to lose more than 0.5lbs per week or so, which can very easily hide behind water weight fluctuations for weeks at a time.

Considering your stats, unless you have an undiagnosed medical condition, not losing weight eating 1300 cals means innacurate logging and/or lack of patience. Use a food scale, double check the entries you are using in the database, and log everything every day for at least 6 weeks before deciding it's not working.

I'm 5'4 started at 145. I was positive I was eating 1400 cals per day until I started using a food scale for everything and got really critical about how I was logging. Found I was actually eating more than 1700 per day, which explained why I wasn't losing!
  • summpear
    summpear Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    OP, I understand your question... just don't know the answer. :D:D