This Sucks....

Options
Today has been crappy. Everything Ive wanted to eat... I couldnt eat because not only the calories...but the sodium, the sugars and the carbs were way too high. Its been very hard for me to choose foods that are healthier but are still "good". The hardest part of my diet is giving up foods that I LOVE for foods that I "like" or "tolerate". Another issue is that eating healthy can be so expensive when on a budget. I can get a delicious burger for a buck whereas a half decent salad is at least $6. But I refuse to lose. I WILL lose this weight...and Im going to pretend to like it!

Replies

• mellyp64
    Options
    I am NOT giving up the things I love - I just know I have to eat less of them. Losing weight is difficult enough without losing life's pleasures as well. For me I know that if I cut out all my favourites I won't stick at this. I'm trying to be realistic - it might take longer but I'll be training ME to eat sensibly.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    That sounds miserable. How about not labeling foods as good or bad, not cutting things out that you enjoy, and set reasonable goals?

A calorie deficit for weight loss and exercise for fitness.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You're right, it is hard to eat healthy when you're depending on someone else to cook your food. Is it possible for you to make your own food at home? It seems expensive at first because you're spending say $60 at one time instead of several meals at only a few bucks a whack. BUT if you plan meals and shop carefully (sales, couples, etc) it can actually be much cheaper for you to make a healthy meal with a good balance of lean meat, vegetables, etc Not only will it be healthier but I can pretty much guarantee it'll taste better too!
  • witmer1
    witmer1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Giving up on things you like or love will set you up for failure. I still eat the things I love, but in moderation. I log it and move on. Sometimes I have to move on a lot to work off what I love.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    the-lorax-speaks5.jpg
  • JayWalk39
    JayWalk39 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You do not need to give up any of the foods that you like...you just have to make room for them in your daily macro's.

First thing you need to know is your TDEE. Subtract 20% from that and you will be all set. Get at least .8 of protein ber LBM, .4 of fat per LBM and then fill the rest with whatever foods you want.

You can lose weight eating nothing but Twinkies if you want as long as you are TDEE minus 20%.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    I really did think the same thing - that eating healthy was more expensive than just grabbing something fast. But I have found that because I eat more protien Im less hungry, which means I eat less at meals and I eat less often. That equates to alot less food that needs to be bought. I buy quality food now, not quantities of bad foods just because I have a coupon for it.

It takes some getting used to, but you can eat healthy with the same, or less money than you did when you were eating all the wrong foods. And some of those foods you can consider a treat now and then.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Today has been crappy. Everything Ive wanted to eat... I couldnt eat because not only the calories...but the sodium, the sugars and the carbs were way too high. Its been very hard for me to choose foods that are healthier but are still "good". The hardest part of my diet is giving up foods that I LOVE for foods that I "like" or "tolerate". Another issue is that eating healthy can be so expensive when on a budget. I can get a delicious burger for a buck whereas a half decent salad is at least $6. But I refuse to lose. I WILL lose this weight...and Im going to pretend to like it!

Change your thinking process, you will fail if you give up everything you love. Seriously just stop now. You need to make sustainable changes to your life that will stick forever, removing things you love is not a forever thing, and it will lead to binges, and ultimatly you quitting.

You want a burger, eat the burger. I often eat everything I want, but in less quantiy. I just make sure it fits my day, if I am over one day, I am more careful the next. If you are working out there is no issue with going over, just plan your day than plan your exercise around that. You have to NET a certain amount so really you could eat 1700 calories a day and still net 1200.
  • bellaamor30
    bellaamor30 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I still eat things I love, I still eat off the fast food dollar menu, I figure this is going to be a long process and a jouney so no need to restrict myself and end up hating my new lifestyle. I keep it simple and just watch my calories. So if I eat fast-food for lunch, I am eating a healthy dinner and throwing in some extra exercise. It took a awhile to sink in but calories in vs. Calories out really works.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I feel you about the dollar burger being cheaper. But it really isnt all that delicious. And if you really want it, if it fits, eat it. I always thought the same thing till I started cooking at home. Its much cheaper when you're not spending money every day for lunch and again for dinner. And that delicious burger you thought was delicious, isnt anymore once you have good food in your mouth.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    As others have said, foods don't have to be 100% healthy to fit into your diet. You don't have to eat nothing but lean meats and veggies, as long as bad outweighs the good in the long run. Get rid of the all or nothing attitude. Stop lumping foods into good and bad categories. If you're anything like me, you want to derive some enjoyment from eating. And you deserve to enjoy what you're eating. Personally, I've never tracked sodium or sugar in my diary. I don't have any medical requirements that require me to. You need to do some research and decide which macros and nutrients are important to you, personally, and which ones aren't.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Another issue is that eating healthy can be so expensive when on a budget. I can get a delicious burger for a buck whereas a half decent salad is at least $6.

Why don't you cook?
    Healthy meals don't have to be expensive.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Don't restrict yourself, you are allowed to have treats. If you restrict, you will crave. And cravings are a *****. Just save some room within your calories sometimes, and treat yourself to what you love. Your body will actually thank you my dear because this will shock your system and rev your metabolism.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    That sounds miserable. How about not labeling foods as good or bad, not cutting things out that you enjoy, and set reasonable goals?

A calorie deficit for weight loss and exercise for fitness.

Oooo I like this idea!!!! :drinker:
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options

Im sorry your having a crappy and hard time with this. Ive been there myself. You would want to choose whole natural foods over processed as much as possable. That way if you go over in carbs, sugar etc...at least they arent the bad kinds. You also dont have to give up what you love...just enjoy it in moderation. It can be as expensive or in expensive as you choose it to be. If you buy all those salad ingredients you will have enough for a week or salads at least.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You can eat the things you want, just perhaps not all in one day. What has helped me is pre-planning my meals. If I want a burger, I plug it in to the diary and then plan healthy meals around it so that I can be sure that I don't exceed my macros for the day.

You should try it. It works for a lot of people here.
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Remember the 80/20 rule. Eat really healthy 80% of the time and you can let up a little the other 20%.
  • giveMEbeauty
    Options
    Bump
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Besides the $1 burger, you didn't say what the other foods are that you love and miss. Are they items that you can be fun and creative with reinventing them in healthier, guilt-free ways? Like the pizza crust made from pulverized cauliflower, or plain yogurt in lieu of sour cream, frozen yogurt instead of ice cream, whole grain wheat bread/pasta/rice over white varieties, Stevia instead of sugar, etc.

Google your favorite foods and add the terms "low-cal" or "vegan" or "gluten-free" and oftentimes you'll get pages of recipes that naturally reduce the sugar and bad fats and increase the nutritional value with ingredient substitutions. Tweak the recipes to suit your taste and you might find when it comes to your favorite foods, you can do it better. ;)