60 years old with saggy skin.

Options
So I’ve lost 23 pounds since January and have 15 pounds to go. I’m proud of the weight loss but upset about the saggy skin on my face, neck, arms, stomach and legs. If I lose the a 15 more pounds my doc wants me to lose I’ll look like I’ve melted. Feeling conflicted.

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loses MamaSteg! Without seeing your level of skin laxity post fat loss, it's difficult to suggest treatment. Granted, Thermage would be the first option, if your skin has minimal laxity. A consultation with a reconstructive/cosmetic surgeon is advisable for a higher degree of skin droopiness post fat loss.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Give it some time. I had a tummy tuck for my stomach area but I lost 104 pounds. As for my face, neck etc areas some of that has filled in a bit. At first my neck looked very turkey-like but really it's not bad now. The tummy tuck was worth it in the end but I had a very tough time so would suggest you give your body time to bounce back as much as it's going to before doing something that drastic. Being thinner than I was is worth any excess skin. I look much better in my clothes and I feel a ton better.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I am 63 years old - have lost 40 lbs with about 10 to go. I was worried about the saggy skin thing too. So I started working out. Like crazy working out. Boxing, calisthenics, running, jumping rope...it has seemed to work. No saggy skin. Even my boobs have started to perk up a bit! Don't know if this is an antidote to saggy skin, but it might be worth a try???
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are having this issue but I'll tell you that it has happened to me at 41 as well. There is always the skin surgery where they remove it but I know that is along recovery. Be proud of your accomplishment and just know that saggy skin comes with it.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I have wrinkled skin on my batwings. If you find something that works let me know. I’m tempted to buy that Crepe Ease that I saw on TV.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    I'm going to repeat what I just said on another thread, because I think it's applicable here, too:

There's a phase part way through weight loss where some of us look worse, not better. What happens is that fat can deplete anywhere in our fat mass: It doesn't always neatly melt off from the outside first, then progress inward, like a melting ice cube. Consequently, the fat mass can get (ugh) squishy or floppy part way through. It's like a water balloon partially filled with water (no air) - floppy - compared to one that's all full with water - more firm and rounded, kind of stands up by itself. The squishy fat conspires with gravity to keep the skin stretched out.

But, as goal approaches, that situation can improve. That "part way" point can be misleadingly worse.

As more fat drops away, some of these areas will deplete enough that the skin can shrink better. When we get down to actual loose skin, it's thin wrinkles, like wrinkles in fabric. Those possibly can shrink. Thicker folds or rolls (like 1/2" plus) still have some fat keeping things stretched out.

In my experience, fat loss is potentially a much faster process than skin shrinkage. My true loose skin (thin wrinkles) kept shrinking well into my second year of maintenance, even at age 60+. (I lost 50+ pounds, total, at age 59-60, and am now 62.) The areas where I still have some remaining squishy fat (for me, abdomen, inner thighs) don't much shrink.

If you're roughly halfway to goal, it's going to be really hard right now to evaluate how things will end up. I know - boy, do I know ;) - that that in-between phase can be scary and annoying. Hang in there! As you get closer to goal, it will be increasingly obvious where you stand. Even then, areas of just loose skin may keep shrinking for quite a while.

Also, I endorse everything that @middlehaitch wrote. Like her, my face looked more haggard right when I reached goal, but improved over the next few months with some skin shrinkage and probably glycogen replenishment. I look my age, and am proud of being who and what I am: I don't think I look worse for having lost weight - quite the contrary. The average person meeting me now is visibly surprised if it comes up in conversation that I was obese just 3-4 years ago.

Keep going. Things are very likely to improve as you approach goal weight, and gradually for quite some time even beyond. Best wishes!