at how many lbs lost did you go down a size?

Options

Replies

• ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I was a 12 and lost about 30 pounds and I am now a 6. So I lost about 10 pounds per size.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    10 lbs is about one size for me. I am 5 feet tall
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I agree with the pp who said there's a larger difference between larger sizes. For me, the difference between a size 14 and a size 12 was about 25 pounds (to be fair, the 14's were getting quite snug when I started). The difference between a size 10 and a size 8 was only about 10-12 pounds.

I also agree that different stores vary pretty widely based on sizes. I sometimes buy cheap jeans from Target. One time, I tried on a pair of skinny jeans in size 8 that fit perfectly. I decided to grab a black pair as well- same exact brand, same store, same style and everything- just a different color. When I got home, I couldn't get the black pair to zip they were so tight!
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    At 173 I wore a slightly tight size 12 jeans. At 140 currently, an 8 in the same brand. Tops went from M-L to small. Several pair of shoes are too loose.
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Usually 10 - 13 pounds is a new size for me.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Interesting! Thanks everyone for sharing your experience! I didn’t know, although it makes a lot of sense, that the larger sizes would be so far apart. 👍
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I think in general it was 10-15 lbs per size for me if following numbered sizes. If following letter sizes it was prob a bit more because most letter sizes include two number sizes. But really sizing is crazy. I currently wear S, M, and L depending on the item, brand, and model.

Size changes also depend on how tight/loose you like your cut. Tight styles change more obviously than looser ones.

I went through MANY Goodwill wardrobes while losing 150 lbs. Thank goodness I wear forgiving casual, loose styles and I have some great GW stores nearby with clothes in good condition. If I had to dress in smartly tailored suits every day it would have gotten frustrating pretty quickly.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    When I was a size 18, it took about 25 lbs before I could fit into a 16. Another time, I kept my loose clothes so long that I completely skipped 16...wore my 18s until they were falling off, and when I went to get new pants, I was able to fit into a 14.

I feel you on how clothes fit everyone differently. I carry my weight in my belly, so my pants get really baggie in the butt and legs and my husband complains that my clothes are too big, but I can't yet zip the next smaller size.
  • summpear
    summpear Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and have lost 25lbs (179-154). I went from a 10-12ish depending on cut (face it - sweats and leggings) to now a 6-8 depending.

I've got 10ish still to lose and I'm curious if I venture into 4s. I've never been there before so it's a little (lot) intimidating.
  • ssurvivor
    ssurvivor Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Like you said, everyone is different. But then there are other factors like the quality of those lbs (i.e, muscle v. fat or losing short term v. long term weight).

For example, in college, I gained 15 lbs but dropped a dress size. Basically, I gained ~20 lbs of muscle but lost ~5 lbs of fat. And since muscle is denser than fat... Also, when I gained weight most recently, I gained long term weight (long term weight is when your fat cells multiply). So, even though I lost all of it, I only dropped one of the three dress sizes I initially gained.

And like others have mentioned, vanity sizing has made this even more complicated. I could buy the same size of the same dress at a department store and directly from the designer and be able to fit the dept store version but not the designer version.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Every 20# was a size for me from 20 to 14. Then 10 from 12 to 2.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I also found more variation in larger sizes. At higher weights, it took more weight loss to drop a clothing size. As I got closer to my goal, my size changed faster. It makes sense when you think about it proportionally. When you weigh 200 pounds, 20 pounds is 10% of your weight, but when you weigh 150, it’s a little over 13% of your body weight. That same 20 pounds makes a more noticeable difference at lower weights.
  • mamasara2
    mamasara2 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and currently in a size 12 jean at 178lbs. I was, on average, a size 4 when I weighed 135lbs.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    35 pounds, 3 sizes so far. What's annoying is I'm in a size 8 now at 150, but the size 8 work slacks I have from 2012 are easily a size smaller than what I'm currently wearing (same brand). And I have size 10 jeans from the same time that I can barely squeeze into. So I never really know what size to say I am :tongue:
  • Squishywishy
    Squishywishy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    At 236 I was a 20/22 on bottom. It took until 180 to get below a size 14. At 140 and below, I'm a size 4 on bottom. The smaller sizes definitely seem to come with less weight loss than the plus sizes.
  • fluffyjames44
    fluffyjames44 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    In the UK 'standard' clothes sizes seem to vary shop to shop. I like this website to see my size drops http://sizes.darkgreener.com
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    For me its usually about 20lbs per size...
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I've lost 31lb total (155 to 124) and went from a pant size 8/10 to a size 2/4, in tops I was a medium or large and now am a small or extra small. I don't know how much I had to lose to get to that first next smaller size. I'd guess around 10lb. I'm 5' 2" and a hourglass shape.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    It's about every 10lbs for me to drop a size. In the beginning, when I was at my highest weight, I didn't really try on clothes as I lost. Because I didn't want to keep going to the plus size store. So I have no idea how long it took me to go from an 18/20 in plus size to a 14/16 in non-plus size (which it floored me that there was a difference).

I haven't been higher than a 10 in four years, but once I got to about a size 10, it's roughly about 10lbs for each size. I'm in the middle between a US4 (snug) and a US6 generally atm.

W/e, I'll take it, lol. XD
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Part of my problem is that i didn't realize how tight my clothes were, I am down 18lbs and just noticing SOME of my jeans getting baggier...not enough to need smaller ones. =( Probably another 20lbs or so because I'm still 30-40lbs over weight.