Eating less and working out, but not losing any weight

Options

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I think fat burns like 4 calories and a lb of musle burns like 6 calories. so its not going to be a big difference its minimal like malibu927 said
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    How are you measuring your calorie intake? Lifting weights does nothing to speed up the process, it's meant to help increase your strength and maintain muscle in a deficit.

OP did you ever answer the question about how you’re measuring your intake? Are you using a food scale?

Also the flow chart is awesome!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    divcara wrote: »
    Lifting weights will help you increase your muscle mass. Muscle does burn more calories at rest than fat. Take those measurements and track to see if you are losing inches. Are your clothes fitting better?

You are also doing a lot of cardio, so you may actually want to look at your carbs and that you have enough. Protein helps with muscle repair and growth. Carbs (the good kind!) will help fuel your workouts/performance.

Lifting will help you increase your muscle mass in a calorie surplus. You can't really gain muscle in a deficit. Also the difference in how much muscle burns vs how much fat burns is minimal.

Really? between my last two body tests (about a month in between them) I had lost 1,5 kg, 1 kg of fat and gained 300 g of muscle. I do 5:2 and it seems to work fine.

I agree - I found 5:2 (a very different IF protocol to 16:8) really good at supporting a heavy exercise workload while losing weight as you are at maintenance calories 5 days a week. So the majority of the time you are fully fuelled for your training and recovery.

And gaining some muscle in a deficit isn't at all unusual, it's harder but your body doesn't switch off MPS due to an (unspecified) deficit.
    uqpksdrhv3pj.png

Infographic from https://sci-fit.net/bulking-deficit-gaining/
  • mamasara2
    mamasara2 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I am strict with logging my intake and keep my calories burned estimates on the lower end vs what my fitness tracker and some websites say.

I'm in that whole perimenopause phase of life, so the weight doesn't come off just because I keep my calorie intake below a certain point and stay active.

There are so many variables.

I feel ya, OP. I do so wish that we could all count on seeing consistent changes. It's especially hard when we know we are doing it "right." But what we often forget is that every single human body will react differently.

I am going with "trust the process." One tiny step at a time and we will get there!
    Lots of love to you!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Gaining strength is another story. I've seen my workouts go from 8 to 25-lb dumbbells and it feels great. But I know that since I only started strength training about 6 months into weight loss, I probably didn't even qualify for newbie gains.
  • mamasara2
    mamasara2 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The woo factor doesn't seem to mean much, really. People will woo things when their opinions are different. I've had people woo things I have said that aren't offensive, are pure opinion and stated as such, or something that can be legitimately backed up.