2 Protein shakes a day, and normal meal at night. Advice please.

Options
2»

Replies

• Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    alanmcj68 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys. I will take it on board. After many attempts, my head is in the right place for it. but I want to do it right. I have had 2 herniated discs in my lumber spine for 24 years, so I am limited with what cardio as I can do.

I don't have herniations, however I do have a recent bulging disc in my lumbar that is still running my life and activity. I was an extremely active person before with a heavy lifting active job, but now on temp light duty. The only thing I can do consistently is walk slowly at an incline on the tredmil. Maybe you could try this? I can get my cardio in at 50% to 70% max heart rate with the right speed and incline combo. I do, however, feel your pain, and sometimes with the best intention, my leg doesn't allow me to walk.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Sounds like you got some good advice already but I just wanted to mention that anytime someone makes "many attempts" I like to point out that it's far more likely you quit because your plan was unsustainable. It's not sexy or dramatic to lose weight slowly but it does get you there. Food for thought; good luck!
  • app_119
    app_119 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I will only comment on the use of shakes. I used them during my weight loss, and continue to use them as part of maintenance. I find it very helpful for calorie control, while getting a good dose of protein and other nutrition. Also, I like to save most of my calories for the evening. I use primarily Slim Fast Advanced, but also am trying Ensure High Protein. Shakes were an important part of my weight loss, but I am a small female, so the fact that is a low calorie meal worked fine for me and I was satisfied. Of course you need to be sure you are taking in enough calories.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Start with reading all the stickied posts at the top of each forum section. They are full of all the collected info you'll need.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    app_119 wrote: »
    I will only comment on the use of shakes. I used them during my weight loss, and continue to use them as part of maintenance. I find it very helpful for calorie control, while getting a good dose of protein and other nutrition. Also, I like to save most of my calories for the evening. I use primarily Slim Fast Advanced, but also am trying Ensure High Protein. Shakes were an important part of my weight loss, but I am a small female, so the fact that is a low calorie meal worked fine for me and I was satisfied. Of course you need to be sure you are taking in enough calories.

I still use the commercial ones sometimes, but it is usually in addition to meals, not instead of. Sometimes I will take one with me on a long paddle that is going to add a lot more calories to my goal that just one shake. About 3 or 4 miles in it seems helpful to have something besides water that is as convenient and quick. It may just be a mental thing as I doubt it has time to have much actual effect before I am off the water.
  • alanmcj68
    alanmcj68 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I had a doughnut today :D:D:D
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I had a doughnut today :D:D:D

Ok?
  • alanmcj68
    Options
    Was just a lighthearted comment, as everyone is telling me to eat more.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Was just a lighthearted comment, as everyone is telling me to eat more.

But what kind of doughnut? Pictures would be great too!
  • alanmcj68
    Options
    Sorry,, it was given to me as a leaving present from one of my staff. no camera in the world quick enough to get a photo. It was a strawberry jam doughnut. It was rather lovely :D
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    *drool*