How do you picky eaters eat good and lose weight?

Options
Hi there, I am probably the most pickiest eater there is on this planet. I don't eat seafood, any asian food, mexican, pretty much the only italian i will eat is pizza, (no spagetti, no lasagna or pasta) i don't like a lot of things. Pretty much the only foods that I like are really unhealthy. Since I was young, i've only liked food such as burgers hot dogs fries, macaroni and cheese, ham, and just a few other things. I don't have much variety in my diet and when a google healthy foods they all look discusting.

So what i do is i try to make the same foods i use to eat but make them healthier. like for instance, i bake french fries, use lean meat for burgers and such.

What do you do?

Replies

• SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    time to put on your big boy pants on
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I pick good food to eat

And eat it

Weight comes off
  • Pulka_Dot
    Pulka_Dot Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Edited to delete my comment. Sending in PM.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Two things - First, there ain't nothing wrong with a good burger, if it fits your macros.

Second, as aforementioned, if the burger doesn't fit your macros, put on your big boy pants and eat your veggies.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Go and make a list of foods that you like. Junk and healthy - look up different types of foods online because you might have forgotten about foods that you like. Find recipes that use these ingredients but are "lighter", and make substitutions if you need to (e.g. I hate cherry tomatoes, but a taco casserole I made called for them. I used onions instead).
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I thought the same thing about myself, until I started to try to eat the healthier food. I realized I love those healthy foods- it was all in my mind that I did not like them. There have to be healthy foods that you like so start exploring some things you haven't tried before and you will find some you like.
  • feathers20
    feathers20 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to be an extremely fussy eater, but I have just trained myself to eat the foods I didn't like. It works! after the first few times of eating veg or salad, i'd be disgusted, but now I actually enjoy those foods, not only because I know its good for me but because it makes me feel good and fuller for longer!

A good tip, the unhealthy food you love is full of flavours (like herbs and spices) - find those in the supermarket in dried containers and put a tiny bit on the healthy stuff you don't like, it will taste better and train you to like them without all the added fats and oils.

good luck :)
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I pick the foods that I like and have found ways to prepare it that are still healthy. The way I see it is there are a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. There's no need to force yourself to eat the ones that you don't like, but that shouldn't turn you off to ones you might like.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    They say it takes 21 tastes of something to "retrain" to like it. So I would pick a food that is healthier and you think would help you to enjoy eating. Then commit to trying it at least once every couple of days. If you still don't like it after 20 or so tries, move on to the next food.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    My pickiness makes it easier to eat healthily. I have expensive tastes, and I'm gluten intolerant. It can make it difficult to find food at all sometimes. I don't like most packaged foods at all, and I never liked fast food.
    What do you do?

I cook, and I take my own food when I travel.

There is nothing wrong with burgers, except the big fluffy bun. They're good made with ground chicken too, for variety.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    time to put on your big boy pants on

This.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Probably your eating habits will change. Your tastes in food is not a set thing.
    You can eat a McDonald's hamburger, or you can make one at home, with a slice of cheese, on a whole wheat bun, with a fresh slab of onion, tomato and crunchy lettuce....which one tastes better and is healthier?
    Just higher quality ingredients will make things healthier.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Your diet sounds like my 2 year olds ideal diet...or mine when I was 5. I agree with the first reply, time to grow up and try new things. You may surprise yourself with what you've been missing. When I met my husband I wouldn't touch seafood, the smell was awful and off-putting. So he brought me to a marina for dinner and I didn't want to be rude, I ordered steamed shrimp. OMG, it was delicious! So I tried some of his crab legs. Again, delicious!! Just recently I tried grilled marinated tilapia, delicious! Doesn't even taste like fish, more like chicken. I still can't do salmon or oysters or even sushi but at least now I can eat at a seafood restaurant and have healthier options at other restaurants. I also eat more veggies as an adult. Know what the problem was? Growing up my dad only served plain canned vegetables. Blagh, mushy, tastless, rubbery. So I started buying fresh or frozen and using different recipes to sautee and roast them. OMG delicious! Really though, just try new things, if you truly don't like it then fine, eat what you like and doctor up the recipe to make it healthier if you can, but you may open up tons of new options by just taking one bite and stepping out of your comfort zone.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Keep trying things.. even those that you have previously not liked. Your taste buds change after a while. I used to hate "healthy" food but as I started eating more and more of it I began to enjoy it.

Try cooking things differently. Maybe you don't like certain veggies because they were either cooked too much or not enough... or they were cooked with seasonings you didn't like.

You can also make your favourite foods healthier. Get portabello mushrooms.. take out the steam and gills and than put sauce and some cheese on top for a healthier pizza... or make your own crush. I love pizza on whole wheat pitas. Try loading your pizza with veggies to make it healthier.

For mac and cheese, make your own sauce and make it healthier. Use lower fat milk/cream... lower calorie cheese. Add in some veggies. I love mac and cheese made with pasta, a can of tomato soup, half a can of milk, some low calorie cheese shredded (or get a good regular cheese so you have to use less of it).. add in some peas, corn, etc. Super yummy!

Bake fries instead of fry. Or cut up potatos and make your own. Sweet potato strips and carrot strips baked like fries are amazing. If you like things like chicken fingers make your own. Take chicken breast, cut into strips and bake.

Burgers are great made with ground turkey. Chop veggies like onion, garlic, peppers, etc really small (or puree them) and mix in. My husband loves a burger salad. He will cook a burger, cut it into small pieces and mix it in with chopped lettuce and tomato.

Keep trying things and make changes to your favourite foods. You can eat the "unhealthy" foods and lose weight. A burger can fit into your macros.. as can pizza... just make changes to them.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Losing weight for me was not about changing what I eat. Rather, it was changing how much I ate. I still don't eat a whole lot of fruits and veggies. I'm allergic to apples and many vegetables give me heartburn, so I'm usually getting only 1-2 servings per day. I still eat pizza, burgers, and pasta. I just watch the portions and try to go for the slightly better options.
  • new_beth_2013
    new_beth_2013 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You can try and make your food choices work for you, but you will be disappointed in the long run.

Make new food. Try new things. If you stick with what you have been doing then you will continue to get the same results.

No one will be able to make you change, so be a man and do it yourself!!

Try new recipes, buy new things, endulge once in a while with the things you love, but it is time to get a new appreciation for things you refuse to enjoy. You will be surprised.
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I hate spicy foods, I hate foods smothered in sauces. Eating mexican to me means a chicken soft taco or guacamole. Eating Chinese means ordering sweet and sour chicken, sauce on the side and a side of white rice. I seem to losing weight just fine. I eat a fruits, vegetables and lean meats.

My taste buds have changed drastically over time. in my 20's I would not eat sushi (which was a same because my family lived int Japan). Now I love it. I was not really a veggie fan, but now I crave them. Avocados were gross mushy green things, now I eat some 5 times a week.

I would try and revisit certain items. You may be surprised what you like now. Also try different preparations. For example, I do not like raw broccoli, but I love steamed broccoli. Yet I hate cooked carrots, but love raw carrots. I use to live in the "mushroom capital of the world" and hated mushrooms. Now I like them raw and cooked. Go figure. I found out I liked sweet and sour chicken when my DH insisted on ordering it with the sauce on the side. A small amount of sauce was prefect for me. When it's drowned in the sauce it was not appealing.
  • iwillbetinytea
    iwillbetinytea Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone. When I was a teen I hated my veggies, but as an adult I understand that I need vegetables in my diet for not only my weight, but skin, for water, for vitamins and minerals. Now I love them. Just grow a pair and get them eaten. Or if you really want to act like a child, put a peg on your nose.
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    There are LOTS of different ways to prepare veggies. I like mine grilled or baked in the oven. Be creative. Juice them if you have to and drink them.

I'm picky too btw - I detest all dairy products - even cheese - as well as eggs and most meats! I hear ya.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    Hi there, I am probably the most pickiest eater there is on this planet. I don't eat seafood, any asian food, mexican, pretty much the only italian i will eat is pizza, (no spagetti, no lasagna or pasta) i don't like a lot of things. Pretty much the only foods that I like are really unhealthy. Since I was young, i've only liked food such as burgers hot dogs fries, macaroni and cheese, ham, and just a few other things. I don't have much variety in my diet and when a google healthy foods they all look discusting.

So what i do is i try to make the same foods i use to eat but make them healthier. like for instance, i bake french fries, use lean meat for burgers and such.

What do you do?

I would say that unless there's some sort of medical issue (allergy, lactose intolerance, etc) or a psychological one (in which case addressing it would require the advise of someone other than a random internet poster). You should work on broadening your palette. There's a world of good, healthy, flavorful food that you're missing out on because you are habituated to a very narrow selection of food.

You don't have to like everything. No one does. But you should try foods (often more than once) and broaden your choices. There's probably some things that you would like. Plus, it broadens your experiences. Why unduly limit yourself? There are things that can enrich your life from a flavor profile and from a health viewpoint.

It is and alway will be up to you.

If you're satisfied with what you're eating, fine. If changing is 'too difficult', well, only you can tell what you have motivation to do. It's really a question of what do you want and what are you willing to do... and no one can answer that but you.

(And what do I do? First, I'm not 'picky.' I was as a child, but as I grew up I learned to eat a variety of things. Besides that, I also know how to cook and enjoy doing so.)