Tips for recreational biking

Options
Hamsibian
Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
Hi all!

I bought my bike back in 2015, but unfortunately got sick right after, so it was never really ridden. I have recovered significantly, and my friend just tuned my bike up the other day.

I rode it yesterday and today just around the block. It's about 1/3 mile, low resistance, and mostly flat road (just one uphill), but I'm so tired afterward. I know it will take some time and consistency to get used to, but what are some tips to build endurance for longer rides? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• GoodLardy
    GoodLardy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have no real advice except maybe add a bit each time? This is the first year for myself in a long time that I’ve tried to ride my bike. I remember hating it so much because of my stomach getting in the way and burning quads which I hate. But this year I’ve been indoor rowing for a small bit now and that seems to have helped because my legs seem to be able to handle it now. I’m up to three miles per ride and hope to add many more. I’m always amazed that people can ride 10, 20, 30 plus miles in a day. It’s always been so hard for me.
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    Thank you both! I will try to ride every morning, and then increase my time and distance overtime. I'm just excited to get going, but I need patience for sure!
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Your body will adapt to cycling quickly. Stay with it. When I returned to my bike after being sedentary for a few years it was the same - riding a mile was exhausting. My legs burned and I felt wiped out. 6 months later I’m doing 20 mile rides on my road bike. It will come, just stay with it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    No advice because I'm not a bike rider but I came to say, my community center has bikes that you can rent out and ride on the 5 mile trail. So I did one day with my 10 year old son. I figured 5 miles would be easy. Lol. My legs were burning so bad.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Are there circular routes near where you live, or railways? Once you have built up some fitness, choose somewhere you want to explore.
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    @garystrickland357 Thank you, I really needed to hear that. I will keep at it because I used to love it growing up. Plus I'm sick of driving everywhere lol.

@hesn92 hahaha my legs feel the same way! They're strong from weightlifting, but it's a whole different story with cardio. good for you for trying it out!

@thechiopodist I live in the Twin Cities (Minnesota). There are tons of lakes and nature centers that I'm dying to check out. A big motivator to get moving!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Find places to ride where you feel safe and comfortable, that have good scenery, and ideally something interesting about them. Pretty soon exercise will just be the icing on the cake.

Use your gears. Seriously. I rode 9 miles last night, my Garmin counted 249 gear shifts. Your gears make it easier, use them. (Burning quads? Easier gear!)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Use your gears.

Ride more (longer times, longer distances) to improve endurance.

Be patient.

This!

Hamsibian wrote: »
    Thank you both! I will try to ride every morning, and then increase my time and distance overtime. I'm just excited to get going, but I need patience for sure!

For a while, try riding every other morning, and walking the other mornings. Then go for 5 days a week, and casual walks on the other days.

Riding every day might be a bit much at first, and if you're tired after about 500 metres, alternating with walks of that distance or more would be beneficial.

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Use your gears.

Ride more (longer times, longer distances) to improve endurance.

Be patient.

This!

For a while, try riding every other morning, and walking the other mornings. Then go for 5 days a week, and casual walks on the other days.

Riding every day might be a bit much at first, and if you're tired after about 500 metres, alternating with walks of that distance or more would be beneficial.

This [squared]! (or a variant for the non-cycling conditioning - for instance, this being the summer, I'm swimming to augment my fitnesss, and in the winter, hit the gym for stationary cycling). In fact, since I live about 4 mi from the beach, I "commute" there and make it a two-fold experience.

I returned to riding after about 30 yrs, way overweight, out-of-shape, with issues associated with being over 60 and long-term somewhat neglectful of my physical condition. Got a new bike from the family for a Christmas/retirement "gift of health." At first, a mile was a tremendous distance to ride. I'm not yet burning up the roadways/trails, but I am closing in on 400 miles so far this year. I have an annual goal of 750+. I've also pedaled off about 30 lbs. And feel way better in general. From my related experience, good things will come with time, patience, repetition and gradual expansion of your capabilities. Hang with it, don't give up, and don't expect miracles in a week. One of the inspirations little posters I've hung on my fridge says, "No Matter How Slow You Ride, You're Still Lapping Those On The Couch."

One of the other posters mentioned "railways" - you might have some rail-trails or other offroad opportunities (but still amenable to casual riding, not mountain riding) near you to develop your riding. A website such as traillink.com would be helpful in finding some.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    Your body will adapt to cycling quickly. Stay with it. When I returned to my bike after being sedentary for a few years it was the same - riding a mile was exhausting. My legs burned and I felt wiped out. 6 months later I’m doing 20 mile rides on my road bike. It will come, just stay with it.

good for you.
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    @Machka9 and @NorthCascades those sounds like reasonable plans. I will practice riding every other day, and relearn how to use my gears. Thank you!

@mjbnj0001 wow 400 miles already? That's anazing!! Youll definitely make your 750 mark at that rate. Thanks for the inspiration, and I will look at the link!
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    @Machka9 and @NorthCascades those sounds like reasonable plans. I will practice riding every other day, and relearn how to use my gears. Thank you!

@mjbnj0001 wow 400 miles already? That's anazing!! Youll definitely make your 750 mark at that rate. Thanks for the inspiration, and I will look at the link!

Thanks, hope so. That's the point of my sharing - 750+ seemed like an incredibly remote stretch goal back on Jan 1st. It has taken persistent effort so far, but the incremental accomplishments keep on building. So keep at it. Plus, remember, once you have some sort of base to build on, then all sorts off training variations can kick in as the more experienced riders have shared in this thread. For instance, I live in a flat coastal area. I have to seek out some terrain changes to get in hillwork.

Good luck!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Today I put my bike in the back of my car, drove about an hour, rode a 25 mile loop back to my car, and drove home. I live in Seattle, and this let me ride in scenic farm country, with peacefully empty roads. Instead of homeless people, there were rabbits, goats, and deer.

If you have the ability to transport your bike, that's a great way to stay motivated. And it's a great way to enjoy good scenery too.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    Today I put my bike in the back of my car, drove about an hour, rode a 25 mile loop back to my car, and drove home. I live in Seattle, and this let me ride in scenic farm country, with peacefully empty roads. Instead of homeless people, there were rabbits, goats, and deer.

If you have the ability to transport your bike, that's a great way to stay motivated. And it's a great way to enjoy good scenery too.

My family was living in Auburn in 1970 and came East due to the Boeing SST layoffs and the resulting bad economy out there. The suburbs were all strawberry fields and other agricultural, and Seattle itself, even though it had some rough areas, was overall a lovely city in a great natural setting. Haven't been there since about 1987. By then, tech office parks were displacing much of the agriculture in the suburban SeaTac area. I've been sorry to learn of the current decline of the city. It's a shame. Now that I'm retired, there's a part of me that would like to move to Anacortes, SJ Islands, Olympic Peninsula, etc., but we have too many roots/connections out here now.

A bike rack for the car doesn't need to be a major expense, and can make transporting it to a trail or park easier (it took about 3 wks to get tired of loading and unloading the bike from inside my Jeep). My LBS gave me a good deal on a shopworn Saris Bones 3 to get me through to midyear - about now - while I adjusted to riding again, and before investing in a more expensive tray-style hitch-mount rack. It works great for my bike alone, but when I load 2 bikes, they rub (mine's pretty big compared to my wife's hybrid). And though rated for 3 bikes, I'm not sure I trust it for that, although the thing is great and highway-stable (I've traveled to Maryland and Ontario with it). My wife or daughter will use the Saris when I get a hitch rack for my Jeep.

w1lyqy4img1f.png
  • Resistive
    Resistive Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    When you are not riding walk stairs when you can. Will help elevate your HR and help towards cardio fitness.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    Resistive wrote: »
    When you are not riding walk stairs when you can. Will help elevate your HR and help towards cardio fitness.

This has helped me become a better climber ... makes cycling up hills a bit easier.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Even for recreational bike ride, cycling shoes make a big difference.
    Padded bike shorts help with comfort.
    gloves protect the hands too.
    Might seem like a bit much but they all work to make the ride better.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

... A bike rack for the car doesn't need to be a major expense, and can make transporting it to a trail or park easier ...

BTW, I was a little tired when I wrote the above. The rack advice was aimed at the OP, not @NorthCascades who probably knows all this stuff.
  • Hamsibian
    Options
    Wow , I love all of these! @NorthCascades did you bike at Mt. Rainier? I lived in Seattle for a few months several years ago. Unfortunately it was when the trails were "under construction", so I didn't get to see it except by the entrance. I would love to see it and the rest of the state one day. Luckily there are plant of state parks and natural scenery in Minnesota - heck, a deer was hanging out in our backyard for hours last week.

@mjbnj0001 @fishgutzy I don't have enough funds for the cycling gear or clothes (beyond helmet and a lock), but I know how to take off the front wheel to put my bike in the back of the hatchback, so transporting shouldn't be a problem. @Resistive @Machka9 I'm happy you mentioned that! I always take the stairs whenever possible. Even after I worked out at the gym and walked almost a mile to my acupuncture appointment, I still climbed 4 flights up to her office. Most activity I've done in a long time :)

I'm going to take it slow with the riding, gradually increasing my time and distance, and go from there. Thanks again, and I love reading all of your experiences!