Diets for managing Diabetes/Sugar levels

Options
2»

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Ask what your A1c was... I assume this was taken since the doctor said you are not prediabetic. If it wasn't, ask for it. Fasting glucose alone is not sufficient to rule out diabetes.

It does sound like reactive hypoglycemia but it's unusual for it to be so constant. I used to get it after a lot of carbs and no protein on an empty stomach - say, pancakes with syrup in the morning. Hope you figure it out soon!

The other thing that comes to mind is anemia or a heart problem which affects you when blood goes to your digestive tract. Especially since the very high carb banana / oatmeal combo was not an issue.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    It could be a number of things but it doesn't sound like hyperglycaemia (high blood glucose). Oatmeal is very carb dense and would definately trigger it. All carbs break down into glucose and fruits break down into fructose , these both affect your glycogen.

I'm type 1 diabetic. When I run hyperglycaemic (high BG) I get blurred vision, mania, tired and fidgety legs and a brain fog (can't think properly). Passing out whilst hyperglycaemic is very unlikely unless you develop ketones in your blood (an acid) which then puts you at risk of diabetic ketoacidocis , this is more of a coma than passing out - I've only had it twice and each time it was like I was high on drugs , I would hallucinate, stare in wonderment at everything, smell and see differently.. you can buy a simple pee stick test to check for ketones if you're worried.

When I run hypoglycaemic I feel like my blood is draining away, I feel slow and drunk, I'm really shaky. This is when I can pass out. This is low blood sugar and can only really be a danger in a diabetic that takes too much insulin or a rediculous amount of excercise without any glucose or fructose in your system to fuel you.

Pre-diabetes is an indicator for type 2 diabetes which is when the body becomes resistant to insulin (but the pancreas can still produce it). Generally this can be found by a blood test looking at your liver lipids. Most cases of type 2 diabetes stem from obesity with visceral fat surrounding the internal organs (mainly pancreas and liver). Another thing you could do if you're worried is get a liver ultrasound or a DEXA scan - if you don't have much internal fat then it's again unlikely that you're pre-diabetic.

To me it sounds like you have a different food based intolerance and not an auto immune disease.

I hope you quickly find the cause! :)

To learn more about diabetes visit diabetes.co.uk
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    It sounds more like gluten intolerance to me. I get reactive hypoglyceamia and it comes on later than you seem to have your reaction. It is all just guesswork here though, see a doctor.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

While I have been tested and my glucose levels came back normal (91 fasting), I can't help but feel like I am diabetic, or at least in the pre stages. Whenever I eat certain foods I feel very dizzy and tired. I often have blurred vision after consuming specific things. My doctor says I do not have any issues at this time, and I am not even in the pre-diabetic category yet, but I know something is wrong. I cannot even have a slice of bread without feeling as though my heart is racing and getting very tired/dizzy to the point of passing out.

Are there any diabetes food plans that may be helpful? Any other recommendations?

There are more than one type of tests they can do. There's a quick fasting test which they usually do, but there's also a 6 or 7 hour test to diagnose things like hypoglycemia. Insist they give you the longer test. My wife has hypoglycemia. If she eats a lot of carbs or sugar it used to get her drunk. After having it for years it now just makes her sleepy but when she was younger she didn't need alcohol. Took the longer test to diagnose it. They give you glucose/sugar water to drink over a period of hours and test your reaction.

Just FYI.