Does counting calories work?

Options
Hey guys! Any success with counting calories? How long did it take you to lose weight with your recommended consumption per day? Thanks!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    Eating fewer calories than you burn works ... but don't eat less than 1200 calories.

I lost 25 kg doing that.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Creating a calorie deficit causes weight loss.

Calorie counting can work if you are as accurate as possible.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    zevzev18 wrote: »
    Hey guys! Any success with counting calories? How long did it take you to lose weight with your recommended consumption per day? Thanks!

Considering I've been cutting and bulking succesfully for 5 years, I'd say not only does it work, but it's the most precise tool for me. I know some people are good at intuitively bulking and cutting without counting (usually it's people with calorie counting experience), but I know I can't. For me it's like driving blindfolded.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    It works for me. I’m an older, shorter female and by logging every single day since January I’ve lost 33 pounds.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Yes it works but you do need to use the tools given accurately and have patience.

I lost 40lbs in around a year, maintained a while and been focusing more on fitness. Looking to get down another 30-35lbs.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,545 Member
    Options
    Consider this:

Food is energy that your body needs to function
    If you eat too much food your body doesn't just not digest this excess food but stores it as fat
    If you eat too little food your body gets energy from your fat stores
    To lose weight you need to eat less food than your body needs so it starts getting energy from your fat stores.

You can just decide to eat less, but many people are really rubbish at estimating how much they eat. Especially if they grab a handful of something here and there all through the day, or drink something with calories. Or just pour cooking oil into a pan.

Calorie counting, if done correctly makes sure you know how much you're eating. It takes the estimation, and the frustration often related to that out ones daily life and makes things easier. You can for example see:

Oh, I still have 600kcal left for dinner. Great!
    or
    Oh dear, this thing had so many calories??? Ok, maybe I'll have less of that next time.
  • TinaZ2018
    TinaZ2018 Posts: 314 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I've been using it for less than two weeks but I'd say it works (it's a must to be honest and accurate and fill in all the requested info!). I don't have a lot of weight to lose... I started on May 7th and I'd love to lose a total of 8 kg but I'm already at a healthy weight (64 kg). Having a sedentary lifestyle, my daily calorie goal is 1200 net and I eat 1200->1600/day but depending on how much I exercise, that means 900->1200 net calories (I never starve myself and always being hungry is a very bad idea). The point is that I met my target of losing 0.75 kg in a week with MFP. I'll take it a bit slower now, as losing weight isn't my main target but to answer your question, YES, it works.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    By calorie counting - making sure I am eating at a deficit, I am 180lbs lighter than when I started. So it's been working pretty good for me.
  • Sabbisra
    Sabbisra Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Eating fewer calories than you burn works ... but don't eat less than 1200 calories.

I lost 25 kg doing that.

Hey you said said you lost 25 kg? How long it took?
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Yes. It works. Calorie deficit always works. If they say it doesn't, they are not in a deficit. Because science! I have lost 110 pounds in 15 months. However, it doesn't matter how long it takes. Just do it! And start today, not on Monday! Also, starvation mode is a myth! If you are on IG, follow Carter Good. You can do it!!
  • Sabbisra
    Sabbisra Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    TinaZ2018 wrote: »
    I've been using it for less than two weeks but I'd say it works (it's a must to be honest and accurate and fill in all the requested info!). I don't have a lot of weight to lose... I started on May 7th and I'd love to lose a total of 8 kg but I'm already at a healthy weight (64 kg). Having a sedentary lifestyle, my daily calorie goal is 1200 net and I eat 1200->1600/day but depending on how much I exercise, that means 900->1200 net calories (I never starve myself and always being hungry is a very bad idea). The point is that I met my target of losing 0.75 kg in a week with MFP. I'll take it a bit slower now, as losing weight isn't my main target but to answer your question, YES, it works.

Hi there
    I am trying it from last 2 weeks but my weight is still there. My calories goal is 1200 but i take between 1000 and 1200 and i am trying some exercise as well. But my weight is not loosing please suggest me something.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Sabbisra wrote: »
    TinaZ2018 wrote: »

Hi there
    I am trying it from last 2 weeks but my weight is still there. My calories goal is 1200 but i take between 1000 and 1200 and i am trying some exercise as well. But my weight is not loosing please suggest me something.

Two weeks is perfectly normal for a plateau. I've been between 173 and 174 for nearly two weeks myself. It's no big deal as with time the weight does come off. Weight loss is not linear, aslo less than 1200 calories a day is not good - you're probably missing a lot of micronutrients and risk severe muscle loss and bone density loss if you don't eat enough.
  • cinnabondelights
    cinnabondelights Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've been eating at 1200 calories a day and lost a total of 82 lbs that way, took about 2 years. I wasn't super active but I did do calisthenic exercises, Zumba, and lifting dumbbells at home a couple times a week.

I gained 10 lbs in the last year since I moved to a different country and neglected my eating habits so I started my 1200 calorie diet again and I've already lost 4 lbs in 2.5 weeks- I've also gone back to the gym and did more heavy lifting and cardio.

So yes, caloric deficit always works because you're burning more calories than consuming them.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    Sabbisra wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

I lost 25 kg doing that.

Hey you said said you lost 25 kg? How long it took?

16 weeks + 1 month diet break + 16 weeks.