20lb backpack

Options
I have a cheap backpack (the kind that's given away at computer fairs) that I put two 10lb dumbbells into. 2-3 times a week, I wear it on my walk around work (about a mile). It works great for me, because the pack is relatively small and allows my back to breathe ok.

I can tell the pack is wearing out. The adjustment straps are slipping, and I'm just waiting for one of the shoulder straps to give out.

I see there are weight vests, but I'm doing this over work breaks ... during the summer ... in Florida ... in my work clothes. I'm not looking to get all sweaty.

What solutions do you guys come up with?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    I just walk with no extra weight. 20 pounds isn't going to change things that drastically. I do hike with a day pack sometimes, but I don't worry about that ext few calories burned.
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I just walk with no extra weight. 20 pounds isn't going to change things that drastically. I do hike with a day pack sometimes, but I don't worry about that ext few calories burned.

Yeah, it's not huge calories, but I think it helps with core and shoulder strength, as well as posture (a lot more weight up high). I also hike with boy scouts, so it keeps me prepped for those trips. Carrying a 30lb hiking pack is much easier when you're already used to 20lbs.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    A couple guys at work ruck. I believe it's goruck that makes the packs they have, and there are custom fit metal plates in 5 or 10 lb increments that they put in
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    The straps are probably slipping because it's a cheap pack not intended for much weight. If you're concerned about the straps breaking, check the attachment point at the seams. Examine the straps to see if they're fraying. There's probably a hack to help them slip less at the buckles, but I don't know what it is. If you really want to walk with something weighted, my solution would be to look for a better made pack.
    I would be more concerned about carrying 20 lbs hanging off my back in a weird unsupported fashion!

Happy walking!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Yeah, it's not huge calories, but I think it helps with core and shoulder strength, as well as posture (a lot more weight up high). I also hike with boy scouts, so it keeps me prepped for those trips. Carrying a 30lb hiking pack is much easier when you're already used to 20lbs.

Why not use your hiking pack?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    New backpack?

I have a heavy duty military grade day pack that I use for rucking...it's like this, only black. I use it for a lot of other things too...

Transporter-Day-Pack-80151COY_FS-03.jpg
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Hit up military surplus stores for a duarble pack.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,443 Member
    Options
    Why do you do it? To strengthen your upper body or because you hope to burn more calories? If it's the second consider this: calories for walking are about weight (lbs) * distance (miles) * 0.3

so lets say if you were 200lbs you'd burn 60kcal on a mile
    adding 20lbs dumbbells would give you burn 66kcal on a mile.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    A well made weight vest is best because you can balance the weight evenly front to back.

Sweating in hot weather is an issue whether you are wearing a vest or a standard backpack.
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Why do you do it?
    For the back strength. I'm not concerned with calories.
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Why not use your hiking pack?
    Because I want a small form factor. Per my statement you quoted, I'm in Florida heat in my work clothes. Profuse sweating is something to be avoided. Also, I really don't want to wear out my good pack.

In any case, I'll look into a good ruck sack. Thanks guys!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    For the back strength. I'm not concerned with calories.

If you mean back endurance.. as in, being able to hike for hours.. that's a good strategy.

If you really mean strength.. as in, lifting heavy objects briefly.. much better results will come from following a traditional strength program, using heavy freeweights. That will also help with hiking to an extent. :+1: