Anyone else with decreased appetite because of the heat?

Options
I usually about 1900 calories per day, but since the heatwave hit the Northeastern US I just have not been hungry. I've had to all but force myself to eat more than 1600 calories, which I consider to be my bare minimum intake for the day, since going any lower than that tends to trigger binging behaviors in me.

Obviously this is neither a problem nor a health concern. At the same time, I'd like to hear other people's experiences with counting calories while experiencing loss of appetite.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    This happens to me sometimes. I notice it can be particularly bad on days when I exercise a lot.

If I find I'm not eating as much as I need, I make sure to have some chilled foods that I know will tempt my appetite. For me that's stuff like pineapple, watermelon, gazpacho, and marinated chickpea salad. I'll also have more smoothies. Juice is another option. While in many circumstances juice is a food I avoid because it doesn't really fill me up, it can be nice in the worst parts of summer where nothing else sounds good.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    During my 6 weeks in Costa Rico in 2004 I dropped a size without even trying or counting a single calorie.

Two main factors - 1. heat depressing my appetite and 2. no access to the high calorie foods that I tend to overeat.

Currently, my AC is not keeping up with the temperature outside so I will have a peanut butter, banana, protein powder smoothie for dinner tonight - that's an easy, yummy way for me to get calories when it's hot, without resorting to ice cream.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    If you occasionally mist yourself with a spray bottle while staying near a fan you will feel much cooler. Wrapping a cold damp towel around your neck will help too. Science is cool (pun intended).

Not only does my appetite wither in the heat if I try to eat when I am too hot I will often feel sick.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Yes, when it's hot I have a lower appetite too. I usually only want fruit or veggies then.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Nope this hasn't reached me yet I'm still scoffing 😂
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I wish, but then I live in Phoenix Metro so heat isn't anything new for me. It can be 117 outside and I'll still snarf fried chicken and macaroni and cheese.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I don’t consider this a bad thing. 😏
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Every summer. I combat this by eating 2 meals - early breakfast and late dinner.

Sadly I live in the Inland Northwest, and it's more like April around here - windy, rainy, 70!
  • const155
    const155 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    yup
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    I would look on the bright side here and say maybe you are getting more in tune with your body's needs. It's pretty normal to want less when it's hot. Listen to those cues rather than suppress them. If you didn't know it was less would it feel right?
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Not often we have this problem in the UK however we do have a heat wave at the moment. My problem is not so much not having an appetite but not wanting to cook anything. I usually like my meat and veg.

But in the heat I find myself grabbing sandwiches and cold stuff like ice cream more so not really a help to me.

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I’ve never understood this. I’m always hungry regardless

Me either. I only don't feel hungry if I am out in the heat, but once I am inside the cool AC at night, my hunger is just the same as it's always been, lol.
  • scribblemoma
    scribblemoma Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Very much so! Yesterday we reached 118 (Fahrenheit) with the heat index and it was too hot to do much of anything including eat @_@
  • cinnabondelights
    cinnabondelights Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Every year. I lose my appetite when it's hot and humid, even with all the delicious BBQ food going on. Just made it easier for me to lose weight when I lived on Guam since it's summer all year round lmao
  • angelica_lisa
    angelica_lisa Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I haven't wanted to eat too much either. I just try to stay hydrated and do more meal planning to adjust for the heat.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I wish... :D
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Nope, it's unusually hot in the UK at the moment they call it "heatwave " I call it summer and I am still hungry as always. Nothing puts me off my food unless I'm ill .I'm even drinking around 3l of water if not even more and no change in my appetite ,nada .
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Not even a little bit. Changes what I want to eat, somewhat - more cold foods, especially those that don't involve hanging over a hot stove to prepare. Makes a cold beer sound especially good, too, and there's a couple of calories in the ones I like best.