Is resistance training necessary to be healthy?

Options
I'm a security guard. My shifts include lots and lots of walking. Sometimes up to 15km a day. Sometimes up and down lots of stairs. I used to go to the gym, but now I work 12 hour nights and sometimes I do swing shifts. I'm just too damn exhausted all the time. And to be honest, I never really enjoyed lifting weights 3 days a week anyway. I'm just wondering if I need to adjust my outlook on exercise. I just want to be healthy, I don't want to be really strong or look really sexy. Is cardio + diet enough to live a good life?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    How old are you?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your definition of "healthy" is.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Maintaining a decent level of strength is essential to a long and good life. This might mean different things to different people, but if you've seen loved ones decline in later years, or felt your own decline, you will understand. If you don't like weieghts, look into body weight training , TRX, or other program that will help you build or maintain your strength.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Also, two times per week is probably plenty, and once would be better than nothing.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Well, do you think having functional strength and muscle mass is good for health? Most people lose muscle mass as they age, sarcopenia, and it is a health problem in the elderly.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    You get to pick what’s important to you. To me the added benefit is worth it. I am over 50 and increasing my strength plus the added benefits to bone density are important to me.