always exhausted

Options
for the past week or so, i’ve been feeling extra exhausted after my workouts. doesn’t matter how much sleep i got the night before or how much coffee i drink that day, i’m just always so tired and can’t function at 100% for the rest of the day. any advice to help me not be a zombie anymore?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories back?
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Eat more so you can properly fuel your body for exercise. Eat back at least half of the exercise calories you burn.

This way you can be active throughout the entire day, hence burning even more calories because you have more energy.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    It's your body telling you to take a day off! You'll probably improve your fitness with rest.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,554 Member
    Options
    Rest more! Eat more on your exercising days. And if this doesn't improve things after a few weeks go see your doctor. Maybe it's something harmless, like sweating out too much salt (that can make you really tired and sleep poorly), or maybe your thyroid needs a bit support...
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    If you don’t come right after a couple of days off from exercise, get your bloods checked. You could be low in a number of things like iron, vitamin B, and so on.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

not usually

That's probably the issue. You need to fuel your workouts.

^^This - if you're using MFP as it's intended, you're supposed to eat these back otherwise you are likely under-eating and thus under-fueling your body.

0n98p70isyq6.jpg
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    How much do you exercise? Recovery days are important.

Also, if you've just significantly increased the amount of exercise that you're doing then you're body will take some time to adjust to the amount of extra work you're doing. A few years ago, I went from 3 days training to 4 days, with the extra day being a very intense session. It was completely killing me. After every one of the extra sessions I was dying and physically needed to have caffeine to stop myself almost falling asleep at the wheel on the way home. After a couple of months I didn't need it any more because I'd got used to the change in pace.

Also, if you're getting tired, make sure you're eating at least some of the calories back, it should help.

Have there been any other changes that could also have an effect? Reduced/increased caffeine intake, change in stress levels that could affect your sleep, for example
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    If you don’t come right after a couple of days off from exercise, get your bloods checked. You could be low in a number of things like iron, vitamin B, and so on.

This!!! I just went though a heck of a time getting my sugars back up
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Too much coffee and exercise could deplete your sodium. I believe it's called hyponatreamia
  • Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Make time for a rest day, take vitamins as it could be your deficient in something? Zinc and magnesium are great for helping you sleep deeper which could help your tiredness
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking enough water and not dehydrated.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options

not usually

That's probably the issue. You need to fuel your workouts.

Yep, this website is designed so you eat your exercise calories back. A lot of gym machines and other webstes will give you a gross estimate of calories burnt, so ppl usually eat half of those calories back. it is important that you do to fuel further workouts.