Do you eat back your exercise calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The ones that are easy to track, I eat back. Some of the others, I don't, and just estimate based on average weight decline over a week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,004 Member
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    No I do not. Calories burned is an estimate, I try to stay under my original suggested calories as it is. If you want to lose weight you have to burn more than you consume.

If you use MFP to set your calorie goal and don't add in any exercise calories, you are not using MFP the way it was designed.

MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help, I do appreciate it.
    Kshama2001, thank you for the link.

I do not go under 1,200 calories a day, I keep it close to 1,500. I am not burning 600 calories, according to the treadmill I burn about 375-400. I know you are not suppose to hold on to the handles on the treadmill but I do. I can walk straight but for some reason I get wobbly in a treadmill so I hold the handles. Holding onto the rails decreases the calories burned. If use 200 calories and eat 1,500 calories I do not fall below the 1,200 lower limit.
    I spread my meals out throughout the day, I do eat small in between meal snacks. I don't go over 1,500 often.

Maybe I will try eating a percentage of my calories back for a few days and look at the results. Thank you again.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    No, because I don't trust that they are accurate. A person my size is supposed to burn about 80-90 calories per mile according to most calculators, but I have been running for decades and simply don't think that's possible because I'm adapted. I might burn this amount when sprinting or doing something totally new to me, but because I don't really know--and because I've hit my heaviest weights while training for half-marathons--I just don't trust the number. I exercise to remain sane, to feel great, to look good and not worry about Spanx or cellulite. But I don't do much about the calories I am supposedly burning.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I only eat back half of my exercise calories each day. for instance I have a fit bit and if it says I burned 220 calories during this exercise- I will only eat back 110 to make room in case of errors because i like to see a loss even if it is a small loss-
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    Thank you all for your help, I do appreciate it.
    Kshama2001, thank you for the link.

I do not go under 1,200 calories a day, I keep it close to 1,500. I am not burning 600 calories, according to the treadmill I burn about 375-400. I know you are not suppose to hold on to the handles on the treadmill but I do. I can walk straight but for some reason I get wobbly in a treadmill so I hold the handles. Holding onto the rails decreases the calories burned. If use 200 calories and eat 1,500 calories I do not fall below the 1,200 lower limit.
    I spread my meals out throughout the day, I do eat small in between meal snacks. I don't go over 1,500 often.

Maybe I will try eating a percentage of my calories back for a few days and look at the results. Thank you again.

its going to take more than a few days to see the results. give it a month or so and go from there.weight fluctuates day to day so you want to see if your trend in weight is going down or not.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I eat back half and use half as a buffer against inaccurate logging (food and exercise). At first, I was losing a bit more than projected, but I seem to be right around where I ought to be now.

I find I'm less hungry, which makes adherence easier. Or less stressed.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    It's also not necessary to eat them on the same day. Many of us follow a weekly calorie average and incorporate them into other days of the week. Some save them for weekends since that's when they're likely to eat higher calorie meals. It all balances out.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I have been looking at several calorie calculators on various websites, the amount the treadmill displayed isn't too far off from what the various calculators say.
    This is the Under Armour calculator: https://www.mapmywalk.com/improve/calorie_calculator/ I looked at others as well, there is about a 75 calorie difference between the website calculator with the lowest amount of calories burned and the website with the highest amount of calories, however if I took an average the treadmill isn't too far off. That is good to know.

I know there are several variables that go into the calculation and I will never get an exact amount. I am losing weight, I feel better than I did before I started with MFP. I will increase my calories as others have suggestedy and see how that goes.

Thank you.

• walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    technically yes but i don’t use MFP as a guide as to the number of calories i should be consuming. i estimated that my average TDEE is 1850 based on working out 4 times per week. my calorie goal doesn’t change based on whether i work out on a specific day because it is already built in. it takes away the ‘using food as a reward’ mentality for me. and i don’t get psycho if i am sedentary on a given day because i know it will average out during the course of a week.