Avoiding interference between training for strength and endurance

Scubdup
Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
Following on from some other conversations, can anyone help me get more information about how to minimise interference between strength training and endurance work?

How long should I leave it between training for each? Alternate days? Alternate weeks? Alternate months?

Replies

• Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    Endurance training before strength training will decrease performance in lifting. So if you want to do both on the same day lift first. For more intense endurance days plan it on different days. For frequency just listen to your body.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Scubdup wrote: »
    Following on from some other conversations, can anyone help me get more information about how to minimise interference between strength training and endurance work?

How long should I leave it between training for each? Alternate days? Alternate weeks? Alternate months?

which is your priority?
  • Scubdup
    Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
    @rose181 - thanks, that's helpful.

@TavistockToad - Both! Sorry - flippant, I know. I have a few different motivators pulling at me currently... If I were to try and prioritise them...
    1. Being fitter to have more energy to play with my children, and be a healthy provider for them (Most Important, short-and long term goal)
    2. An interest in seeing by how much I can beat my very old 2k erg time (Medium term, pretty sure I could do it with a month or so or tailored training)
    3. Desire to improve my time at a short-distance triathlon later in the summer (not that important to me, but imminent short term need)
    4. Vanity, and a desire to lose weight and put on muscle bulk (Medium and long term goal)
    5. An interest in seeing how heavy I can lift (medium to long term, not much of a current priority - in my head I'm thinking this could maybe be my motivator/drive/focus this winter)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    They are more compatible than most people think. You don't have to prioritize one, you can get better at both. You will have to plan and recover well.
    Some terms/people to google
    Pete Stables
    Alex Viada
    Hybrid training
    Concurrent training
    Lift heavy run long
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    They are more compatible than most people think. You don't have to prioritize one, you can get better at both. You will have to plan and recover well.
    Some terms/people to google
    Pete Stables
    Alex Viada
    Hybrid training
    Concurrent training
    Lift heavy run long

Agreed. I'm currently running Layne Nortons Phat Program. 1 upper body strength day, 1 lower body strength day, followed by 3 high volume hypertrophy days - back/shoulders, legs/glutes, chest/arms. Its a bear with only two rest days! But I've been able to make strength gains, and also get volume as well. Occasionally, I have to take week to recover and do yoga or something.