Exercise Break due to Illness

Options
Hi, I had to take a break from exercise due to holidays, a short cold, a migraine, etc. I've been out of the gym for 10 days, but still active throughout. I've been lifting light weights (40 pds max) but it took me a while to get to that point. I could barely lift my own arms over my head before I started. I want to go back today but I am scared I won't be able to lift as much. Does 10 days make a difference? Do you lose strength in that short amount of time?

Replies

• Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    10 days shouldn't make a difference. Don't worry to much about how much you lift. As long as you make progress you will be fine. On the other hand usually if I have been sick the first few sessions I can't lift as much but it returns quickly. Are you on a lifting program?
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Rose18l wrote: »
    10 days shouldn't make a difference. Don't worry to much about how much you lift. As long as you make progress you will be fine. On the other hand usually if I have been sick the first few sessions I can't lift as much but it returns quickly. Are you on a lifting program?

I would like to start a lifting program, but I'm not on one unfortunately. I am waiting until I can get a personal trainer as I don't feel comfortable stepping into that area of the gym on my own and without knowledge of how to handle the equipment. For now, I go to Bodypump classes and I'm trying to perfect my form with these lighter weights. I've been increasing my weights consistently but I know at a certain point, I won't be able to increase weights without a proper program. The reps are just too high for much heavier weights.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ditto to 10 days not being a problem.

Many can take 2 weeks off, and come back stronger. unless of course sickness was reason and lack of eating.

But to keep the DOMS to a minimum, cut the sets down, do the same reps and weight, just less volume.

So if you did 3 sets, do 1 set, next workout do 2 sets, then back to 3 sets.

or however that works for you.

Worst is jumping right back in and the muscles can do it - but are so badly sore for so many days you have to skip the next workout while they still repair, which means the next workout after that may cause same issue.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    After a couple weeks away from the gym I found that some of my "weaker" areas were noticeably weaker. I just adjusted my weights back to what I could lift, not that big of a deal. My (naturally) stronger areas didn't really suffer at all.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you have to lift a few lbs less, it's OK. It's not the end of the world. You'll be back where you were after a couple of sessions. Life has its ups and downs.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Coming back after a week or so off is usually when I hit my personal records.

But even if that's not the case for you, usually you come back pretty quickly. No harm done.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time as I have a suppressed immune system. I start with lighter weights for a session or 2, then progress as usual.
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I went back today and it felt great! I was able to lift my regular weights