sevillamonica Posts: 1 Member
For instance I want to do rice and chicken and then rice and shrimp
And not have to copy all ingredients again
Tnanks

Replies

• DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I believe you can edit, but not duplicate and edit.
    To have two recipes with slightly different ingredients, go to your original recipe to look at the ingredients. Highlight them and copy, create a new recipe, select "Add Recipe Manually" (under the URL) and paste the ingredients in the box. Fix the list so all items are listed on their own line, and then continue.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    I believe you can edit, but not duplicate and edit.
    To have two recipes with slightly different ingredients, go to your original recipe to look at the ingredients. Highlight them and copy, create a new recipe, select "Add Recipe Manually" (under the URL) and paste the ingredients in the box. Fix the list so all items are listed on their own line, and then continue.

This is what I do. Unfortunately it requires fixing items that are mismatched from the database... for some reasons onions always comes up wrong for me.

It would be nice to be able to just save a recipe under a new name and still have the old recipe
  • th3r0n
    th3r0n Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That was almost 5 years ago and I'm still waiting for this feature. Regularly having to gather a bunch of ingredients just to scan the bar codes again to make a couple of changes to another recipe really gets old.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any way to copy a recipe without overwriting the original recipe.

[PRO TIP] What I will do if I'm only changing one or two ingredients is add the new ingredients and change the quantity on the ones I'm eliminating/replacing to some really small number (e.g., 0.01) so that they don't affect the calories/nutrients in any meaningful way. That way, if I want to switch back the next time I make the recipe, the ingredients are still there, so all I have to do is adjust the quantities.
  • johnbrady9999
    johnbrady9999 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is easy to copy a recipe on a computer, but very tedious on a phone. On a PC or Mac, use any browser (Chrome, Edge, Safari etc) to log in to myfitnesspal.com, find your recipes, hover your mouse over the recipe you want to copy, and click 'Copy'. Edit the name of the copied recipe to the name you will use for the new recipe. Delete unused ingredients, or change their quantity to something miniscule like 0.01 (to make it easy to add it again later). Easy. If you want to add a new ingredient by scanning its barcode, then open Myfitnesspal on your phone, and further edit the recipe on your phone (although first you may need to exit then re-start the phone app so that it can find the new recipe you just made).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I usually put a meal into my database, delete what I don't need and add the new ingredient in the right amount.
  • taw762556
    taw762556 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How is this STILL not a thing? This should be an incredibly easy feature to implement, and would be extremely useful in trying recipe variations, especially when comparing macros.
  • nozomiww
    nozomiww Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm also hoping they add this feature especially to mobile. I want two different versions of the same recipe because sometimes I need to change which one I'm going to make for dinner based on the macros. I am worried if I do the 0.0001 thing to make an ingredient "hidden" temporarily that I'll forget to add it back later. And I shouldn't have to add it back later if they would just add a duplicate recipe option. Also the fact that I can't create a custom food and then use that food in my recipe is mind blowing to me. :(
  • Snickers2424
    Snickers2424 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would also love to have this feature. I use the recipe section often. For now what I do if I only need to change 1 or 2 ingredients, is this….I delete the meat in the original recipe, and then just add whatever meat and portion separately. For example, I would add the recipe with the deleted meat to my daily food log, then add either shrimp or chicken separately to your food log. I’ve had to do this a few times and it seems to be the fastest way for me for now.