Potassium

Options
utes09
utes09 Posts: 561 Member
This is the one nutrient I can't get anywhere near the 3500mg that is suggested. I know bananas are a good source, but surprisingly a medium banana I think only has 500 mg or so and is pretty high in carbs. Does anyone have suggestions on how to have an adequate intake of potassium from foods that aren't high in carbs or calories? I take a multivitamin as well but it only has 100 mg.

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Google potassium rich foods to get an idea of other things you could add. One item I can think of is the 5.5 oz cans of low sodium V8 juice--can't recall how much they have, but it is at least as much as a banana. For some reason the number 670 mg comes to mind, but I am not positive that is correct.

There are also potassium supplements available OTC. Walmart has a good one that is reasonably priced.
  • chrispol
    chrispol Posts: 21
    Options
    You best bet would be to take an actual Potassium supplement. bananas are ok to get a little, but unfortunately you can't each a bunch of bananas every day :)
  • sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    I too had that issue. I went on line and search for high potassium foods. I found that I had to eat more fruits and vegetables in order to get it. Also, if you do not have a sodium issue, V-8 juice is extremely high in potassium. Milk also has a lot. I would suggest you look at my diary, but the last couple of days have not been consistent with me. If you can look at my diary previous to that, feel free. Good Luck:drinker:
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Kiwi is high in it also.
  • sheri3762
    sheri3762 Posts: 159
    Options
    I had a serious potassium problem a month ago. Actually was off here for a little while because of it. Ended up in hospital!! Anyway, I've learned a lot about it in the last month. Baked potatoes have the highest potassium level. My doc have me a list of high pot foods. Spinach and bananas are high and V8 has around 900 per serving. Remember tho, the V8 is high in sodium, even the low sodium is still high if you watch that too.

Do you think you have low potassium or are you just trying to watch your intake? If you think its low and haven't had it checked, you may want to get a blood test done. My problem stemmed from a ombination of weight loss and taking a diruetic for high blood pressure. The direutic was depleting my potassium. I'm taking a prescribed dose of pot. now, but I really watch to make sure I'm getting enough. Its hard!!! Somedays I'm really glad I have the pills cause I haven't been able to meet the daily recommended amount yet!! Good Luck!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    sheri-

It is appalling to me that any doctor would prescribe a diuretic blood pressure med and not check your potassium level after you started on it to make sure you didn't need a supplement. Your condition should have been discovered long before you had to be hospitalized. Many if not most people on this type of med need to supplement potassium. I took such a med for about 8 years, until my weight dropped to a point where I went off meds.:drinker: :drinker:

Also, losing weight does not cause a drop in potassium, but the level in your system can be affected by diet, but not to the degree that the diuretic med can cause. I am glad everything turned out okay for you.

In regard to the sodium level in V-8--yes the regular IS high, but the low sodium version is quite reasonable with 160 mg. of sodium.(about 10% of the minimum sodium that our bodies need each day, which happens to be 1500 mg) And the small (5.5 oz) can only has 80 mg. and is something even someone watching sodium can have.
  • kickitlarson
    kickitlarson Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You best bet would be to take an actual Potassium supplement. bananas are ok to get a little, but unfortunately you can't each a bunch of bananas every day :)

I can't stop at only one bunch - I eat 3!!
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I don't feel I'm low (I haven't had it checked), but based on my numbers here I'm only hitting maybe 1000-1500 mg a day.

Trust me, I love v8 and always buy the low sodium cans! I try and drink at least one a day!
  • hracing
    hracing Posts: 2
    Options
    I saw your post after being concerned myself about my potassium intake.. It's the only nutrient I'm not hitting 100% and am way off like you posted. I will do a supplement, but wonder, how that can be a normal dose of potassium if so many people are way off the mark.

I'll eat a banana, drink v8, and down a few kiwi's and see what that adds up to, but at this point, I'm just happy to be losing weight and getting way more of the overall nutrients I should have been getting.

Good luck. If you find the potassium well, let me know where it is.

todd