Such a disappointment!

Options

Replies

• aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Uurgh, it's so annoying when that happens! I think I need to make myself a "worth it" list of the treats that actually are worth splurging on. I'm yet to find a "worth it" donut and yet I keep having them and asking myself "why?" afterwards!
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    h1udd wrote: »
    I am so glad its not just me that suffers from this .. Cakes, crisps, sweets I save up for them .. go on a splurge and am just left feeling empty afterwards as they are nothing like I remember them.

Anyone got a theory to why this happens .... is it just a case of building up expectation ... or has something changed physically and a bunch of sugar stuck together with fat just doesnt appeal. .. OR does your body just like what it gets most of and if your diet is now more Greek yogurt than Pastries then the Greek yog tastes nicer ?

I think we adapt to the food we eat and what we drink. I have heard people my entire life that gave up sugary sodas that have said that later when they tried one again it was cloyingly sweet. I experienced this myself when I was in my 20's and gave up sweetened tea. I think the same is true for spicy foods and different types of meat. If you eat spicy long enough I think it becomes normal and you don't get the same fire mouth you would if you tried something spicy with a diet of mostly bland foods.

It makes sense of you think of different cultures and cuisines. If you were raised eating insects (which are not as bad as they sound) it would be normal and you might even crave them at times.

Oh gosh yes, I to never be able to eat spicy food, now I love them! I used to have sugar in my tea, now, bleh, I wouldn't even drink a cup made with sugar, it tastes too awful.

And when I changed jobs, the new coffee machine makes terrible coffee, but I've got used to it now, and it doesn't taste too bad anymore (it's not the best, but it's no longer unpleasant to drink)
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Why would anyone eat more than a bite or two of something they didn't feel was worth the calories? It is my primary food restriction. I will grant you it can be a PITA at times. I once threw away some fried chicken and ended up getting tuna out of the cupboard because of it but I will not waste my calories. The more expensive something is the more it needs to satisfy. I think I am up to 8 different instances of things in my 6 months that I have refused to eat.

I think back to all the times I ate calorie bombs while gaining weight that I didn't fully enjoy that I now have to work back off and it annoys me greatly. Cold, overcooked, odd flavor, disappointing flavor... sent back or trashed.

I agree with this - in fact one of the things that led me to initial success was learning in Anatomy and Physiology how quickly our taste and smell senses adapt - nothing will taste as good as it does the first bite. So if that first bite isn't everything I want it to be, I give it to one of my kids and find something else.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I went to spend the day in the seaside town I grew up in
    Went to the ice cream kiosk that used to sell amazing scooped ice cream along side the Mr whippy stuff
    Family all wanted Mr whippy but I decided to splurge on 2 scoops of the good stuff. Cost more than double Thiers. White chocolate tasted like plastic and Panna cotta tasted like *kitten*
    In the trash it went

I hardly ever eat icecream because the quality is so poor. Wales has some wonderful artisan ice cream though, with good taste and very heavy, good milk but I don't live there anymore. Scotland? Hmm.. Mackies is ok, but lacks the good milky flavour. I give it a miss. :'(
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Went to the ice cream kiosk that used to sell amazing scooped ice cream along side the Mr whippy stuff
    Family all wanted Mr whippy but I decided to splurge on 2 scoops of the good stuff. Cost more than double Thiers. White chocolate tasted like plastic and Panna cotta tasted like *kitten*
    In the trash it went

I hardly ever eat icecream because the quality is so poor. Wales has some wonderful artisan ice cream though, with good taste and very heavy, good milk but I don't live there anymore. Scotland? Hmm.. Mackies is ok, but lacks the good milky flavour. I give it a miss. :'(

I had Mr whippy tonight. Might be the migraine but it was sooooo much better than the speciality stuff I had at the sea side

We have a local farm in Sheffield who uses Thier milk to make wonderful ice cream, now I don't want to go in case it's not as good as I remember
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    I went to this pasta place yesterday, and remembered they have great mushroom pasta, so I decided to go with that one instead of trying something new. The mushroom pasta was... fine. Then, we saw rhubarb sherbet on the dessert menu, and decided we have to try it. That, also, was... fine. Neither was excellent. The only truly excellent part about my pre-planned splurge was the movie theater popcorn combined with Ocean's 8. I'm a little annoyed about the pasta and sherbet, but at least I still had fun.

I loved Ocean's 8, but my popcorn splurge was a disappointment. My local theater has dairy in the seasoning they use so I just had plain, unsalted popcorn. Next time I think I'll just sneak in some pretzels or bring my own salt.
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Actually it's good that you had one right away and didn't waste time pining away for them!!!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I hate it when that happens!!! I love a good brownie too! My niece actually makes GREAT brownies. I remember the first time I lost 140 pounds, one of the things I realized I used to LOVE (I don’t know why) were Burger King Whopper’s with Cheese only ketchup. After I had lost the weight that time (in 2013), I had one, and it wasn’t NEARLY as good as I thought it was going to be. Happened with the Quarter Pounder with Cheese too. Not that I should be having those anyway - but that STUNK!!!
  • como_agua
    como_agua Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    when i started as a pastry chef 12 years ago - it was still a pretty niche occupation. i have a savory tooth and not a sweet one. *mercy lol* i do believe in an adage that i've read that you will eat something 8 times before you get used to it and it becomes monotonous. our tastebuds change and we evolve. would i get into this occupation again? never.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    This happens with kfc for me. :( its always greasy and soggy when I get it. Why can't it be like they show it on tv
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm so there! I went to a bakery for a sticky bun that the internet was raving about. You have to go on a certain day and before a certain time or they'll be sold out.

I took one bite and immediately discovered it wasn't worth the calories. I tossed it. My calories are precious and (at this point) I'd rather waste my money before I waste calories on something that doesnt knock my socks off.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    I am so glad its not just me that suffers from this .. Cakes, crisps, sweets I save up for them .. go on a splurge and am just left feeling empty afterwards as they are nothing like I remember them.

Anyone got a theory to why this happens .... is it just a case of building up expectation ... or has something changed physically and a bunch of sugar stuck together with fat just doesnt appeal. .. OR does your body just like what it gets most of and if your diet is now more Greek yogurt than Pastries then the Greek yog tastes nicer ?

I think it's more about wanting to get your calories worth. I eat "a bunch of sugar stuck together with fat" often and it still appeals, it just needs to be really good to be worth the calories. I get really sad when it's not.

Before weight loss, I didn't care if the food was "meh". I think I created false memories of enjoying a food when, really, I was enjoying the moment, the social interaction, the memories, the habit, the action of eating itself..etc. I rarely paused to think "hmm, this tastes good" unless a food tasted exceptionally good. Now that my calories are limited I want every single one of them to count. Sub-par food just feels like a waste. I have "cut out" certain foods from my diet not because I felt I needed to cut them out, but because the repeated disappointment in them after dieting made it feel like they're not worth the calories anymore.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I LOVE food in all of its forms so this almost never happens to me. But when it does I have finally gotten past the guilt of throwing something out instead of finishing it.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    In the trash it went

Oh how I miss Joe's icecream :love:
  • yirara
    Options
    In the trash it went

I had Mr whippy tonight. Might be the migraine but it was sooooo much better than the speciality stuff I had at the sea side

We have a local farm in Sheffield who uses Thier milk to make wonderful ice cream, now I don't want to go in case it's not as good as I remember

Ha, I'd love to have proper, milky ice cream! I'm so disappointed by most seaside ice though: It's just this softice I'm not too keen on. Do you know if Leeds has something good locally? Coming down in August for a concert and always love to try local produce. And thanks to this thread I want ice cream more than anything else.
  • yirara
    edited July 2018
    Options
    deviette wrote: »
    In the trash it went

I loved Parisella of Conwy, but really, nearly any place up north (in Wales) has fantastic ice cream! <3

Now if you British people (generalizing :* ) could make proper chocolate! Black & Green has a nice taste but lacks creaminess. Mackies is creamy but lacks cocoa. Cadbury's is NOT chocolate, with just 24% cocoa. I'm really starving here :'(
  • ruqayyahsmum
    Options
    deviette wrote: »
    In the trash it went

I loved Parisella of Conwy, but really, nearly any place up north (in Wales) has fantastic ice cream! <3

Now if you British people (generalizing :* ) could make proper chocolate! Black & Green has a nice taste but lacks creaminess. Mackies is creamy but lacks cocoa. Cadbury's is NOT chocolate, with just 24% cocoa. I'm really starving here :'(

Order Tony's chocolonely from Holland, beautiful stuff
  • ruqayyahsmum
    Options
    In the trash it went

Ha, I'd love to have proper, milky ice cream! I'm so disappointed by most seaside ice though: It's just this softice I'm not too keen on. Do you know if Leeds has something good locally? Coming down in August for a concert and always love to try local produce. And thanks to this thread I want ice cream more than anything else.

Northern bloc is made in Leeds

There's a place called ice scoop gelato that makes the ice cream daily

I don't know any farms in the area that make Thier own though
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel - luckily I don't have a sweet tooth; when I am offered something sugary I always compare it in my mind with: a juicy steak, smoked salmon or grilled chicken. The "meaty" side always wins.