Finally Met a Long Standing Goal!

Options
My upper body strength throughout my life has not been the best. Even as a kid, I could never do pull ups/chin ups at all ... Four years ago, when I stepped into the gym for what is now a routine part of my life, I vowed to do at least one unaided pull up.

I got a wild hair on Monday and told my trainer to step aside and let's see what I can do (never trying it AT ALL during this past four years) ... I did FOUR all on my own! And then I did it again after a short breather! I am paying for it now (so sore) but I DID IT! At 46 years of age, I finally did something I could not even do when I was a kid.

Replies

• OceanAddict
    OceanAddict Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Good for you! That is amazing! It is also my goal to be able to do an unaided pull-up. I'm getting stronger but a long way to go still.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    that's such a great NSV!! you def can be proud!! well done :)
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Great!! - wait a couple - 3 days & do it again
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome!!! Congratulations! A lot of my goals are things that kids seem to be able to easily do, but I've never been able to: Handstands, splits, flips, etc.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    woo hoo! well done!
  • sharonedix
    sharonedix Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just can't help but smile ..you coming out of the box!! Great job ..keep it up ..you got this ..one day at a time ..
  • gcconroy29
    gcconroy29 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Any particular workouts you did that you think helped? Its a goal of mine as well
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    gcconroy29 wrote: »
    Any particular workouts you did that you think helped? Its a goal of mine as well

Not really ... my trainer just loves to mix up things, especially mixing with squats. I will say that the addition of boxing of all things and rowing have helped me. Oh, and some heavy lifting too!
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »
    Great!! - wait a couple - 3 days & do it again

I plan too ... I retain inflammation thanks to an auto immune thing so i may have to wait a week but i WILL do it again!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing rowing helped a lot...keep it up. Now that you know you can do them, throw a few in every week!
  • DrizztGirl82
    DrizztGirl82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome for you! I'm so happy!