Push Up Stands Question

Options
aimeetu
aimeetu Posts: 139 Member
Hi - I'm very new to push ups and have been incorporating them for a while now but I'm wondering if you all think it would be helpful to get the push up stands to help increase my range of motion? Thoughts?

Replies

• LIBOR_cat
    LIBOR_cat Posts: 197 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Use a couple of chairs and dip in between like rocky balboa. Play the music.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    There's very limited(almost no) benefit to going below "parallel/90 degree elbow bend" for pushups.

There is more benefit from doing static holds at the top and the bottom of the planked pushup.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    over the last month I have started doing pushups on kettlebells to increase the range of motion and activate the pecs more. ..... I havent noticed any difference whatsoever
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    There's very limited(almost no) benefit to going below "parallel/90 degree elbow bend" for pushups.

Yes, and it increases the risk of shoulder injuries to go deep.
    To make pushups harder, put weights on your back or wear a weighted backpack.
    Oh and since you're new, check youtube for "pushup mistakes". :+1:
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I use pushup stands simply because I find them more comfortable and cleaner than placing my hands on the ground. They are also easier on my wrists when I do steep decline pushups.

I do not use them to go past parallel when doing standard pushups but this metric isn't as significant when doing declines. I have not suffered any arm or shoulder injuries as a result.

I see no harm in using them if you like them and find them helpful as I do.