Another dumb TDEE question.

Options
Bear with me.

So BMR is how many calories your body requires to sustain basic functions. Aka cities burned if you don't move at all.

TDEE covers calories burned from everything else?

Why I'm asking is because my BMR is 1550. Every TDEE calculator I've used has had mine at around 2400. While exercising, I burn about 2000 calories per week, so about 300 per day. 1550+300=1850. What accounts for the remaining 550? Surely going to the bathroom and walking through y house 5 times a day doesn't burn that much.

Replies

• MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    and yes.
    Are you using a TDEE at lightly or moderately active?
  • ksimmons19
    ksimmons19 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    BMR is what your body needs to function at NO LEVEL OF ACTIVITY AT ALL. Meaning if you were to sit still for an entire 24 hours, your body would still need that amount for your body to function properly. TDEE accounts for getting up to the bathroom, walking to your car, carrying the groceries, whatever activity you do at your job etc. PLUS workouts on top of that. That's why you put in for a level of activity (sedentary, lightly active, moderately active, etc.) And, you would be surprised how many calories those little things add up to. I used a bodybugg for a while and it was cool to see how the level of activity and cals burned per minute doing different things ( like washing dishes by hand vs dishwasher)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    This should clear up any questions you may have:

1. BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): The amount of calories you need to consume to maintain your body if you were comatose (base level).

2. NEAT (Non-Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie of daily activity that is NOT exercise (eg: washing, walking, talking, shopping, working). ie: INCIDENTAL EXERCISE! It is something that everyone has a good amount of control over.

3. EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): The calorie requirements associated with planned exercise. Unless someone is doing a whole heap of exercise (eg: two or more hrs training a day) it usually doesn't add a stack of calories to your requirements (30 minutes of 'elliptical training isn't going to do it')

4. TEF (Thermic effect of feeding): The calorie expenditure associated with eating. REGARDLESS of what myths you have been told - this is NOT dependent on MEAL FREQUENCY. It is a % of TOTAL CALORIES CONSUMED (and 15% of 3 x 600 cal meals is the same as 15% of 6 x 300 cal meals). It varies according to MACRONUTRIENT content and FIBER content. For most mixed diets, it is something around 15%. Protein is higher (up to 25%), carbs are variable (between 5-25%), and fats are low (usually less than 5%). So -> More protein and more carbs and more fiber = HIGHER TEF. More FAT = LOWER TEF.

5. TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure): The total calories you require - and the sum of the above (BMR + NEAT + EAT + TEF).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    BMR is what your body needs to function at NO LEVEL OF ACTIVITY AT ALL. Meaning if you were to sit still for an entire 24 hours, your body would still need that amount for your body to function properly. TDEE accounts for getting up to the bathroom, walking to your car, carrying the groceries, whatever activity you do at your job etc. PLUS workouts on top of that. That's why you put in for a level of activity (sedentary, lightly active, moderately active, etc.) And, you would be surprised how many calories those little things add up to. I used a bodybugg for a while and it was cool to see how the level of activity and cals burned per minute doing different things ( like washing dishes by hand vs dishwasher)

Agreed.