Working out macro ratios

Options
Hi, any advice on working out macros? For some reason, I think a doctor once told me, it's stuck in my head since!! .... I'm doing 45% protein, 30% carbs and 25% fats. I am trying to lose weight slow and steadily, maybe 1-1.5lb a week. :)

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you need a consistent calorie deficit, and time.
    How fast you can lose, depends on how much you have to lose.
    How fast you will lose, depends on how large a calorie deficit you can create and sustain.
    How much you can lose, depends on how long you stick to a calorie deficit.
    How long you can stick to a calorie deficit, depends on how easy and practical it feels.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Macros are whatever you want them to be - those seem like pretty good ratios to me, particularly if you’re feeling good on them.
    Your fat loss will be based on calorie count and ensuring you have a calorie deficit (which mfp works out for you if you put your goals in).

Your macro split makes sure you don’t lose lean mass (protein) and that you feel satiated (fat, carbs, protein whatever floats your boat personally).

The most important thing is making sure you’re getting your minimum protein* to ensure you don’t lose muscle mass - and then making sure you feel full enough that you don’t binge or fall off the wagon :-)

*minimum protein opinions vary: 0.4-0.8gm/lb of lean mass is the lower end I’ve seen, if you’re doing muscle building work (strength training, yoga, certain cardio etc) you may want to aim for more than that. I personally aim of 0.8-1.2gm/lb and do strength training most days but that’s not to say my way is right - I just feel good on this amount :)