Keto stall!!! I want to cry!

Options
2»

Replies

• Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    I am on keto (maintaining now, but used it to lose 10+ lbs) and found that unlike other diets I'd been on, there was quite a bit of stair-stepping, where I'd drop more than 2 lbs in a week, then stay at that weight or even gain back a half lb or so, then drop another 2 etc. Ultimately it was the fastest and easiest weight I've ever lost, but I definitely had weeks with a disappointment on the scale.

I would like to add for those who read this and are new to the whole thing, keto does make you lose weight faster initially, but it's mainly the drop in water weight and glycogen (especially in the first few weeks) which makes you lose weight fast initially due to the reduction of carbs. Long term, you lose fat at the same rate as any other diet out there, I am only mentionning this for information purpouses only. However with that said, it can be a big boost psychologically especially for those who have never succeeded in the past to lose weight for whatever reason.

Whether it was "water weight" or not, I kept the lbs. off and my clothes were all big on me, so I think it was "real." I do agree that the very first week was clearly water weight--I have never in my entire life dropped 5 lbs in one week, and I was eating around 1350 calories a day, not starving myself. But it stayed off and the weight continued to drop, so I guess whatever biological processes were going on behind the scenes ultimately didn't matter, as I am now maintaining my weight loss six months later and wearing a size 4 instead of a 6. And yes, the mental boost was great, especially when in the past I'd lost about .5 lbs a week on the exact same calorie intake but with more carbs and less fat. Just for comparison's sake--I did Weight Watchers in 2009 and it took me SIX MONTHS to lose the exact same number of pounds I lost in 2 months on keto.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I have just come out of a 2+ weeks stall (I'm not keto) during which I was beginning to feel frustrated. Now out of it and have had a bit of a whoosh. Don't panic, keep going. Provided you are keeping to your deficit and measurig accurately your loss will get going again. Your loss to date has been pretty quick - it may well slow down so be prepared. Many people do not lose weight in a linear fashion - 2 weeks with no scale move is common for me.
    Me too, and I’m finding that although the scale hasn’t moved my clothes are looser-especially around the waist (yea!!). Looking forward to my whoosh :)
    OP, you’re doing fine with an admirable loss so far. Stick with it, and look for changes other than just the scale-seeing other little positives help keep us encouraged during the inevitable stall.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I am on keto (maintaining now, but used it to lose 10+ lbs) and found that unlike other diets I'd been on, there was quite a bit of stair-stepping, where I'd drop more than 2 lbs in a week, then stay at that weight or even gain back a half lb or so, then drop another 2 etc. Ultimately it was the fastest and easiest weight I've ever lost, but I definitely had weeks with a disappointment on the scale.

I would like to add for those who read this and are new to the whole thing, keto does make you lose weight faster initially, but it's mainly the drop in water weight and glycogen (especially in the first few weeks) which makes you lose weight fast initially due to the reduction of carbs. Long term, you lose fat at the same rate as any other diet out there, I am only mentionning this for information purpouses only. However with that said, it can be a big boost psychologically especially for those who have never succeeded in the past to lose weight for whatever reason.

What he said.

I am following the Keto Lifestyle.

When I first started, I dropped (and I am gonna lie...I honestly do not recall the exact number in the particular second) something like six pounds. It was the reduction of glycogen (aka, it being depleted AND not replaced....since I was eating like 20g of Carbs).

That is always encouraging....but since SOOOOO MANY people seem to not do any research *AND* have completely unrealistic goals (95% of which stems from total ignorance) they become frustrated when that level of loss does not continue. Then, when the so-called (and I would love to talk to the dude that called it this) Keto Flu hits people are taken by surprise (again, 95% of that is total ignorance) then they end up quitting.

Please - since this is written and not spoken - do not hear any negative tone in my voice (so-to-speak) with the "total ignorance" comments. Not said in a negative, judgmental way. This is just my experience.....

Keto is *NOT* some magic pill. It is simply a way of eating. And it is restrictive (essentially, no carbs). I love it. It works VERY WELL for me. But it is not for everyone. And, once the "water weight" loss happens it is just like any other way of eating....you eat more than your maintenance (aka, you are in a caloric surplus) then you will gain weight. If, however, you are eating less that your maintenance (aka, you are in a caloric (deficit) then you will lose weight. Calories are calories....

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

Whether it was "water weight" or not, I kept the lbs. off and my clothes were all big on me, so I think it was "real." I do agree that the very first week was clearly water weight--I have never in my entire life dropped 5 lbs in one week, and I was eating around 1350 calories a day, not starving myself. But it stayed off and the weight continued to drop, so I guess whatever biological processes were going on behind the scenes ultimately didn't matter, as I am now maintaining my weight loss six months later and wearing a size 4 instead of a 6. And yes, the mental boost was great, especially when in the past I'd lost about .5 lbs a week on the exact same calorie intake but with more carbs and less fat. Just for comparison's sake--I did Weight Watchers in 2009 and it took me SIX MONTHS to lose the exact same number of pounds I lost in 2 months on keto.
    The caloric deficit was real, the keto is simply a tool that you enjoy and has helped you acheive your goal, for that congratulations.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I dont do keto and have been retaining water for 2 weeks now. I lost 2 lbs today in water weight. still retaining almost 3 lbs still but I am due for TOM next week so for me that is normal. so that would be a 5lb fluctuation there.when I did keto for a short time I lost 5 lbs the first week. after that I lost nothing and did it for 2 months. I was still in a deficit of calories. but for me it had to do with my health issue and not being able to properly digest fats and cholesterol.
  • Vgetskinny
    Vgetskinny Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm not a keto pro, but just want to commiserate and remind you that if you are doing all the right things then you WILL see results, even of your body isn't showing those on the scale as quickly as you like. It gets frustrating. I am there now. Doing all the right things and losses are slower than I would expect. Exercising, too. But I am just going to focus on keeping up the good work, and I will take my non-scale victories wherever I can get them. Feeling in control of my nutrition, for one thing! Feels great! The losses WILL come.