When do you guys like to increase calories?

Options
dpr73
dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
So I have been noticing a small dip in my weight and am not trying to lose weight! So, I know I need to increase calories. I am considering starting with 100 a day. However, I am questioning whether to start tomorrow (Friday) or begin the increase after the weekend on Monday (I tend to loosen counting on (at least part of) the weekends as I often am out and about e.g. eating at restaurants). Do any of you have a preference? Am I being to intricate here?

Exercise 5 days a week (3 days of 45-60mins lifting and 2 days of at least 3 miles running), eating between 2400-2450 on the weekdays. I have no idea what I eat on the weekends, but I tend to save about 1300 calories for one big meal (like a burger and fries with one or two pints of beer) at a restaurant out. 67 in, 135-140lbs, 23, male.

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I wouldn’t do a 100 everyday. I’d do a 100 every 4-7 days or 250 a week PAST your maintenance. So find your maintenance then add 250 if you’d like to gain weight at a lean surplus
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you're a male or female (I didn't click on your profile). All I know is that when I have 2-3 weeks in a row where I don't gain weight, I usually add 125 calories (sometimes 200 if I am actually losing too much weight) to my calories and check after 2-3 weeks what happens. Rinse and repeat until I see the results that I am looking for.
  • dpr73
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    Not sure if you're a male or female (I didn't click on your profile). All I know is that when I have 2-3 weeks in a row where I don't gain weight, I usually add 125 calories (sometimes 200 if I am actually losing too much weight) to my calories and check after 2-3 weeks what happens. Rinse and repeat until I see the results that I am looking for.

I am male and currently on 2400-2450. So increase at least to 2550? Do you typically wait until a fresh week? I know this weekend will be more lax with counting anyway
  • fb47
    edited July 2018
    Options
    dpr73 wrote: »

I am male and currently on 2400-2450. So increase at least to 2550? Do you typically wait until a fresh week? I know this weekend will be more lax with counting anyway

I start with my new calories after my week has ended since I weigh myself every day and use weekly weight average. If I would start mid week, it would *kitten* up my data for the week.

By the way, I am 5'9 and do no cardio, I usually cut at 2400 calories, so if your stats are similar to mine, it may be because you're indeed eating little or I have a better metabolism (Higher NEAT).
  • dpr73
    Options

I start with my new calories after my week has ended since I weigh myself every day and use weekly weight average. If I would start mid week, it would *kitten* up my data for the week.

By the way, I am 5'9 and do no cardio, I usually cut at 2400 calories, so if your stats are similar to mine, it may be because you're indeed eating little or I have a better metabolism (Higher NEAT).

I 100% agree that 2400 is too little. I'm just finding that out now. I am relatively new to running so am not used to the extra calorie burn it provides. I probably underestimated how much it adds.
    I agree with starting midweek. It just would mess me up. My weight loss scares me, though it isn't profound yet, which is why I was asking the question.
  • fb47
    Options

I 100% agree that 2400 is too little. I'm just finding that out now. I am relatively new to running so am not used to the extra calorie burn it provides. I probably underestimated how much it adds.
    I agree with starting midweek. It just would mess me up. My weight loss scares me, though it isn't profound yet, which is why I was asking the question.
    Well if you're losing over 1 lbs per week, I suggest adding 200-250 calories, that should at the very least limit the losing weight part....however it may bring you to maintenance or you may gain some weight because of water weight since you will be eating more food and getting glycogen.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I wouldn’t do a 100 everyday. I’d do a 100 every 4-7 days or 250 a week PAST your maintenance. So find your maintenance then add 250 if you’d like to gain weight at a lean surplus

That small an amount wouldn't likely yield any useable info. I agree with others based on the info provided. 200-250 per day for a few weeks and see.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

That small an amount wouldn't likely yield any useable info. I agree with others based on the info provided. 200-250 per day for a few weeks and see.

I don’t agree.....that’s a 1400-1750 additional calories PER week. That’s an insane jump unless your goal is to gain fat.....
    Increase 250-500 past maintenance weekly If you want to minimize fat gain while putting on muscle
  • mmapags
    edited July 2018
    Options
    If the OP were at maintenance, 200 to 250 per day would result in 1/2 lb per week gain. As he said, he is dropping weight.
  • dpr73
    Options
    So to summarize, if I were to try to put some lean weight on I should try 2700 daily. Seeing as I currently eat about 2400-2450 calories, that has me at 250-300 above what I'm eating now (with weekends more lax on counting). Of course, right now I'm slowly losing weight, probably 0.25lbs per week, but really it's so slow I can't count it even.
  • mmapags
    Options
    So to summarize, if I were to try to put some lean weight on I should try 2700 daily. Seeing as I currently eat about 2400-2450 calories, that has me at 250-300 above what I'm eating now (with weekends more lax on counting). Of course, right now I'm slowly losing weight, probably 0.25lbs per week, but really it's so slow I can't count it even.

There is no such thing as totally lean weight. It is always some mix of fat and muscle. You can minimize the fat and keep the gain as lean as possible by only being 200 to 300 above maintenance and resistance training. First you have to have a decent idea of your maintenance. We can never get it exact and that isn't really important. But a reasonable approximation.

Then monitor the scale and the mirror as it sounds like you are doing now.
  • dpr73
    Options

There is no such thing as totally lean weight. It is always some mix of fat and muscle. You can minimize the fat and keep the gain as lean as possible by only being 200 to 300 above maintenance and resistance training. First you have to have a decent idea of your maintenance. We can never get it exact and that isn't really important. But a reasonable approximation.

Perfect. So based off my weight trend, adding 300 is a worthy place to start. In the past, I have struggled with seeing these bulks through, due to fear of fat gain. But assuming that a minimal increase will cause some but nothing too damaging then I will do my best to follow through this time.
  • mmapags
    Options

Perfect. So based off my weight trend, adding 300 is a worthy place to start. In the past, I have struggled with seeing these bulks through, due to fear of fat gain. But assuming that a minimal increase will cause some but nothing too damaging then I will do my best to follow through this time.

Yes, I think you're fine. That's a little over 1/2 per week if your maintenance is accurate and if your logging is dead accurate. Close enough. Monitor and adjust accordingly after a few weeks.