What should I be doing at this point?

Options
batorkin
batorkin Posts: 281 Member
edited July 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm a 6'1' male and went from 252 pounds to 162 pounds (90 pounds loss). I had nearly no muscle mass going into this, which I knew was going to be a problem. My measurement around my gut is only 34" now, but I still can easily grab 2 handfuls (and then some) of fat there. I still have man boobs (lol), but they finally started to significantly shrink in the last month. However, my legs and arms are way too skinny, which leaves me confused on what to do.

I have started to focus more on strength training instead of cardio. I do various dumbbell exercises, daily pushups and planks, etc. I still try to do cardio for 20-30 minutes a day, as time permits. I drink a protein shake each day and try to get as much protein as possible.

In the past few weeks, I've somehow gained weight (162 to 171) even though I have been eating my usual 1500-1700 calories. My waistline however is the smallest it has ever been, which makes me believe it's water retention from focusing more on strength training and/or muscle gain.

Should I just keep on doing what I am doing?

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    LIFT! LOL sorry about that. Remember after a long diet, your body is depleted. I also worry about transient weight fluctuations, but get a good trending app. Helps my piece of mind. I know my average rate of gain. Almost my caloric surplus as well. I know at 3250 cals a day my average over the last 6 months has been between 60-100 a day. Weight during that time period between 3-5lbs. Trending 2 lbs. Macro intake 365 c, 250p, 90 f. Best of luck my man.
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    LIFT! LOL sorry about that. Remember after a long diet, your body is depleted. I also worry about transient weight fluctuations, but get a good trending app. Helps my piece of mind. I know my average rate of gain. Almost my caloric surplus as well. I know at 3250 cals a day my average over the last 6 months has been between 60-100 a day. Weight during that time period between 3-5lbs. Trending 2 lbs. Macro intake 365 c, 250p, 90 f. Best of luck my man.

I am worried that if I up my calorie intake, I'll never get rid of this problematic fat that still remains around my gut and chest. I want to be lean and toned, not big and toned.

I sit in a chair 12-16 hours a day when not exercising/lifting. 3250 calories would be way too much for my lifestyle, but I thought about upping it to 2000-2200 or so. I am not overly hungry on my current diet though, my appetite seems to have adjusted to 1500-1700 calories.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    tyrindor wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »

I am worried that if I up my calorie intake, I'll never get rid of this problematic fat that still remains around my gut and chest. I want to be lean and toned, not big and toned.

I sit in a chair 12-16 hours a day when not exercising/lifting. 3250 calories would be way too much for my lifestyle, but I thought about upping it to 2000-2200 or so. I am not overly hungry on my current diet though, my appetite seems to have adjusted to 1500-1700 calories.

You will start to get hungry again. At least I did. Almost ravenous at times. I am far more active than you, so my cals are higher. I also eat a higher fiber and protein diet. Slightly higher tef. So my cals look a little inflated. Look at the calorie calculator by Kevin Hall at the NIH. It is pretty accurate for me. Pick a number and stick with it for a month and watch your trending. Adjust from there. I don't know how long you were overweight, age... ect. All that can effect maintanace calories.