high weights/low reps or high reps/low weights?

Options
cfredz
cfredz Posts: 292 Member
What is better for what? Just curious if this makes a difference?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    High reps low weight will basically just build muscular endurance. It may help to retain muscle. Lower reps, higher weight will help to build strength, help retain muscle while on a deficit and, if eating at a surplus, will build mass. Imho, a progressive lifting program under 12 reps is better than teeny weights for 50 reps. You can tweak the number of reps and % of 1RM depending on personal goals and preferences.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    You always want to lift as heavy as possible with good form = low reps/heavy weight
  • cfredz
    Options
    High reps low weight will basically just build muscular endurance. It may help to retain muscle. Lower reps, higher weight will help to build strength, help retain muscle while on a deficit and, if eating at a surplus, will build mass. Imho, a progressive lifting program under 12 reps is better than teeny weights for 50 reps. You can tweak the number of reps and 5 of 1RM depending on personal goals and preferences.

Thank you!
    I am a way way beginner at this point, i just bought The New Rules of Lifting for Women and havent read it yet. I have previously been doing (free weights) low weights high reps. and on the machines i guess somewhat heavy weights at the same reps. Kind of scared to go into the free weights section of the gym >.<
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    Don't be scared.... you look like you are doing great.... Keep up the good work. And lift heavy stuff ......
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    High reps low weight will basically just build muscular endurance. It may help to retain muscle. Lower reps, higher weight will help to build strength, help retain muscle while on a deficit and, if eating at a surplus, will build mass. Imho, a progressive lifting program under 12 reps is better than teeny weights for 50 reps. You can tweak the number of reps and 5 of 1RM depending on personal goals and preferences.

Thank you!
    I am a way way beginner at this point, i just bought The New Rules of Lifting for Women and havent read it yet. I have previously been doing (free weights) low weights high reps. and on the machines i guess somewhat heavy weights at the same reps. Kind of scared to go into the free weights section of the gym >.<

And after you read it, you'll realize heavy lifting is the only way to go. There's not much to be gained by low weights/high reps.
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT 100. That's 100 reps (10x10) @ 50% your regular workout weight. with 30 seconds rest.

I love it and been losing losing weight steady.
  • cfredz
    Options

Thank you!

And after you read it, you'll realize heavy lifting is the only way to go. There's not much to be gained by low weights/high reps.

Yea Im going to start it tonight. I just was never sure what type of things to do with free weights besides squats/lunges/deadlifts. Hopefully the book with help
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Oh let us not completely knock high reps/low weights it is my go to and a personal preference but it does have its own lasting results....

YPic_zpsf5055c53.jpg
    WeightlossCollage2012.jpg
  • cfredz
    Options

Thank you!

Oh let us not completely knock high reps/low weights it is my go to and a personal preference but it does have its own lasting results....

YPic_zpsf5055c53.jpg

What kind of results?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Thank you!

YPic_zpsf5055c53.jpg

What kind of results?

Um....................... don't know whether I should say Ouch or Haha............ lol If you aren't joking then my results are in the pictures I posted and the using low weight/high rep approach to my exercise program to lose 312 lbs, and maintain as much lean body mass as possible in the process.... I think my results are pretty good but then again may not.... lol Best of Luck
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Science may have a slightly different opinion......
    More repetitions with lighter weights can build muscle as well as heavier weights -- assuming they are done to the point of exercise-induced fatigue.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20120427/high-reps-with-low-weights-builds-muscle-too
    (June 2012 issue of Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Thank you!

Not really... time under tension is more important.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options

Thank you!

YPic_zpsf5055c53.jpg

What kind of results?

Um....................... don't know whether I should say Ouch or Haha............ lol If you aren't joking then my results are in the pictures I posted and the using low weight/high rep approach to my exercise program to lose 312 lbs, and maintain as much lean body mass as possible in the process.... I think my results are pretty good but then again may not.... lol Best of Luck

Your results are wonderful!! Don't let anyone make you question that!

Bottom line - it depends on what your goals are. I lift heavy, always have, and probably always will. As a former collegiate rugby player, heavy lifting is what I do, and what makes me happy.

To do lower weight/higher reps you're looking at muscular endurance, and from what EdDavenport is sounding like he did - actually would have cardio benefits as well.

So OP - eval your goals, and then get on with your bad self
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Is it?? Runners legs are under tension for hours with thousands of reps. They must get so buff and strong from all that time under tension.

Either than or you clearly don't understand how the bodies muscle systems work...

Thank you!

Not really... time under tension is more important.
  • cfredz
    Options

Thank you!

YPic_zpsf5055c53.jpg

What kind of results?

Sorry ! i cant view photos on work computer so i wasnt joking lol