Just Venting

Options
I am bummed.
I have to stop hiking for the next few months and I love hiking. It is my time. But, yesterday I was miserable before I even began. It was 95°F at 5am. The sun wasn't even fully up yet, just light peeking at the horizon. That is the earliest I can safely go (gotta be able to see snakes, coyotes, and possible two-legged predators.) It is now so consistently hot during the day, that the desert sand and rocks can't really cool during the night this close to the city.

I did anticipate this back in April when I joined a great rec center with an indoor elevated and air-conditioned track and full gym. But, I was having so much fun, and burning so many calories hiking, somehow I forgot that this time was coming.

Where is my mind sometimes. I am supposed to be using this month to reevaluate my fitness routine and goals, yet I keeping getting tripped up by having to make changes and adjustments. I know this is just me though. I need routine or anxiety takes over, so any changes in established routine are like some epic disaster until I am comfortable in my new routine.

(Maybe my fellow anxiety sufferers can relate.)

Replies

• fitcrt
    fitcrt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have been on a journey of trying to figure out new workouts and a new routine since an injury in February that I am still struggling with and not healed. I had to give up the workouts I loved doing and it’s been a real challenge physically and mentally... I wish I only needed to switch things up for a few months due to the weather! I love hiking as well and live an hours drive from the Rockies and can’t hike this year at all... I really miss it! Hang in there and look for new things to enjoy, think of it as growth... 😉
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,477 Member
    Options
    If it helps you, no, it’s not just you. Lots of people stick to their exercise routines when good sense says to step back. Just something about it.

Looking from a different perspective, just stepping out of our comfort zone, any comfort zone, can help build resilience- a valuable trait. If it’s an issue, maybe you just need to jump in the pool. The water may seem cold, but you’ll get used to it.
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouraging replies. It is interesting that I am finding this phase of slowly adjusting and adapting to a long term maintenance lifestyle more challenging than the previous hardcore weight loss stages.

Then it was just a strict march without deviation. Also during cooler months. ;)
    Now, as I try to tweak things for the long term, I keep stumbling. This scares me because I am not at my goal weight, and I worry that if I am not constantly upping my calorie burn, I will stop losing and eventually go back to just sitting/lying around. It's my all or nothing mentality I am also trying to change.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    HeyJudii wrote: »
    Thank you for the encouraging replies. It is interesting that I am finding this phase of slowly adjusting and adapting to a long term maintenance lifestyle more challenging than the previous hardcore weight loss stages.

Then it was just a strict march without deviation. Also during cooler months. ;)
    Now, as I try to tweak things for the long term, I keep stumbling. This scares me because I am not at my goal weight, and I worry that if I am not constantly upping my calorie burn, I will stop losing and eventually go back to just sitting/lying around. It's my all or nothing mentality I am also trying to change.

Maintenance is often a lot harder to manage than weight loss.

As long as you adjust your eating habits to a lower activity level if you aren't getting as much exercise you won't stop losing weight. Exercise isn't necessary for weight loss - your calorie deficit is already built into your MFP calorie allowance.

Also are there any other activities you could get into that would be possible during the hotter months - watersports, indoor team sports, etc?