Kind of embarrassed by how much oil I was putting in things

Options
I've never done strict calorie counting before, but I've learned quickly how much oil I had been using vs how much I really need. Examples:

When I made pierogies with onions, I used to use a lot of oil (mostly because I learned the meal while in Ukraine where oil seemed to be a food group). I made it recently with onions and cabbage for more filler. Initially, I think I was going to use 4 Tbsp of oil, but as I created the recipe, and the calories per serving added up, I scaled back my plans to 2 Tbsp. To get calories even lower, I ended up just going with 1 Tbsp (for 2 servings), and it was just fine!

I also make buckwheat, and even though it's for breakfast, I make it with onions, garlic, and a bit of oil. Again, I typically would just coat the bottom of my pot, again as taught in Ukraine, with however much that would be. (I would guess 3-4 Tbsp.) Last time I made it, I limited to 2 Tbsp (for 5 servings). Today, I used just 1 Tbsp (5 servings).

Can't believe what I used before counting!

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    That's where counting really comes in handy. I too am learning some real portion eye openers.
  • vicelike
    vicelike Posts: 22
    Options
    And in Salad Dressing and sauces.... stealthy calories for sure
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Oil is actually the main reason why I rarely get take-aways. Ask any Asian person about how their food is different in the west than from home, they will say (among other things) "it's very oily".

I love chow mein, but if the oil is dripping from my chin I just can't bear it..
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Oil is actually the main reason why I rarely get take-aways. Ask any Asian person about how their food is different in the west than from home, they will say (among other things) "it's very oily".

I love chow mein, but if the oil is dripping from my chin I just can't bear it..

Maybe, I'm reading this wrong, but I'm Taiwanese and I can easily say I can easily find examples of oily Chinese/Taiwanese food in the States as well as in Taiwan. Moreover in Taiwan I think it's also more likely to find food with MSG or lard.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Get an oil sprayer! Seriously, this thing has been awesome for keeping down how much oil I use in cooking. It is amazing how little you actually need.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Super proud of you!!!

:love:

:heart:
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If you use olive oil, you are adding beneficial fats, so you can eat it guilt-free (as long as you account for the total calories and macros).
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Get an oil sprayer! Seriously, this thing has been awesome for keeping down how much oil I use in cooking. It is amazing how little you actually need.

I do have a sprayer, but I rarely use it. When I get to needing that little, I think how I probably don't need it at all and can leave it out entirely.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    If you use olive oil, you are adding beneficial fats, so you can eat it guilt-free (as long as you account for the total calories and macros).

Yeah, it's that accounting for calories that's making me scale back :)