I'm Trying Everything to Lose Weight...help!

Options
I've tried so many tips, tricks, and fads to try to lose weight. My biggest issue is my patience, or lack thereof. I have no "gym buddies" because they moved away, so my accountabilibuddies are gone, and I've gotten lazy. I've still managed to keep off the 20lbs I lost a couple years ago, but I'm itching to lose more. I'm using work as my excuse to not going to the gym. So, I got Insanity, and did that for a few days. Then my knee was bothering me (I had surgery a couple years ago), so I used that as an excuse.

Basically, if there's an excuse to NOT workout, I find it. I need people to help me be motivated and stay driven in losing weight and being healthy. This process is so taxing and lonely where I am, that I just don't see the reason to even stick with it.

Replies

• mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    working out helps relieve stress.. so anytime you feel stressed turn to exercise.. that may help depending on what type of job you work.

I also play sports, ones that I enjoy so I don't realize how much of an " exercise" it is.. I just have fun.
  • ladykitchen77
    ladykitchen77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Suga, add me as a friend. we can encourage one another.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    What motivates me and always makes me want to be fitter is that whenever I walk in a room
    I know I am as fit or fitter than anyone in that room.

I recently walked up a mountain 5 miles with a guy who is 74 yrs old... I think now if he is willing to do this
    how could I not.

Wake up each day and think how can I be fitter today.. Do not even worry about being a good person just a fitter person.
  • SNeumeister
    Options
    You have to do it for YOU!
    You have to want it or it won't stick!

I'm the same way! No one wants to go to the gym with me. It isn't as fun doing it alone, takes a lot of self control & motivation.

Just dropped my first 20, having a not so great week, since a lot of my entertainment comes from food, lunch dates, no bueno.

Add me if you want to. :)
  • ladypitek
    ladypitek Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Do not even worry about being a good person just a fitter person.

For serious? Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    You've got to change your approach! Weight loss and general health cannot be achieved through a quick fix or a fad diet, they are a LIFESTYLE. Set sensible goals for yourself regarding diet and exercise, start slow and keep at it! Start by introducing healthier foods into your diet and if a workout DVD is too much at the beginning, go on walks.

I have made slow progress over the last year, but taking it slow has allowed me to make changes that are here to stay.
  • MrsH2132012
    MrsH2132012 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    with respect: put an end to finding excuses if you really want to change.

I had them too and squashed them all because I'll be damed if I stay overweight for the rest of my life.
  • MrsH2132012
    MrsH2132012 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You've got to change your approach! Weight loss and general health cannot be achieved through a quick fix or a fad diet, they are a LIFESTYLE. Set sensible goals for yourself regarding diet and exercise, start slow and keep at it! Start by introducing healthier foods into your diet and if a workout DVD is too much at the beginning, go on walks.

I have made slow progress over the last year, but taking it slow has allowed me to make changes that are here to stay.

THIS <3
  • cybertazet
    Options
    Add me as a friend and we can be accountable to each other.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Keep trying!!
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I've tried so many tips, tricks, and fads to try to lose weight. .

Here is your problem.

Additionally, you don't have to work out to lose weight. A reasonable calorie deficit is enough. If that's all you do, it will be enough.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options

Everything she just said!
  • althom67
    althom67 Posts: 14
    Options
    I just signed up here today for similar reasons. Have tried all kinds of diets but lose motivation. I am attempting to commit to a better total lifestyle. I have enlisted a trainer to get me started and help with nutrition goals. Just started tracking stuff today. I, like you, need to try hard to keep focused. Excuses abound. I'll add you and help if I can. :)
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You need to break the bad habits you have set in your mind. It's not really rocket science but it's hard if your mind is giving you a million excuses to NOT DO IT.

First thing I would say is self motivate. Google pictures like 'Bodybuilding Motivation' or other stuff around fitness and motivation and post one pic a day to your facebook wall. (Ignore the name like bodybuilding it's the pictures/motivational words/pictures you want to be looking at)

I will assume you have bad eating habits as well given the excuses you are telling yourself. This is something else you need to break the best way is to set out a plan of what you're going to eat each day for a month and stick to it. Make it strict but healthy while allowing yourself a cheat meal at the end of the week.

You really have to want it bad enough to go earn it.

Leg's hurting, go gym and lift some light weights. If you are female don't worry about getting huge it's not gonna happen but weights will help you get toned and give you strength. You might find lifting weights easier than doing cardio but a better workout overall for your body. If your leg is better do 40-60 mins walking a day take one day off.

I do know where you are coming from with excuses I have had 7 years worth of it since I last tried to lose weight. I've lost 60lb in total in like 4 months. I'm working out daily, eating well. Eating within my goals and setting a standard for how I want to live.You don't need a gym buddy you need yourself, a headset and some music and you need your mind trained on the prize on the goal you're aiming for.

Good luck.
  • triplestepping
    triplestepping Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Maybe sign up for a fitness class? Whether it's yoga or spinning or zumba or crossfit, sometimes having a teacher there who expects you to show up (and if you're prepaid for a series of classes then you better show up, says your wallet) can be helpful. Maybe use Meetup.com to help you find some like-minded workout buddies in your area?

Also, try lots of different physical activities that sound like fun to you. Hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing, kayaking, SUP, horseback riding, whatever sounds exhilarating and is accessible to you where you are. When you hit the thing that you find you really love, you'll want to A) do more of it, and B) cross-train to get better at A. Find the thing that you can't wait to go back and do more of, and set a goal for yourself. For me those two are hiking and horseback riding. There is not a lot of cross-training you can do for hiking that is better than just more hiking, but the rush of getting to the top of the trail and having a fantastic view all around is worth it every time for going back for more. When I started horseback riding again (something I used to do as a kid) I was horribly under-fit, but it turns out that hiking is great cross-training for riding, so hey! Now I'm riding once a week, and hiking three to four times a week with my dog.

Hope some of this helps a little bit?
  • cbuggy75
    cbuggy75 Posts: 23
    Options
    You don't need a gym buddy you need yourself, a headset and some music and you need your mind trained on the prize on the goal you're aiming for.

^^^THIS^^^
    In the end you just need YOU and WILLPOWER! You need the WANT that it takes to get to where you are trying to go. You can do it!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I've tried so many tips, tricks, and fads to try to lose weight. My biggest issue is my patience, or lack thereof. I have no "gym buddies" because they moved away, so my accountabilibuddies are gone, and I've gotten lazy. I've still managed to keep off the 20lbs I lost a couple years ago, but I'm itching to lose more. I'm using work as my excuse to not going to the gym. So, I got Insanity, and did that for a few days. Then my knee was bothering me (I had surgery a couple years ago), so I used that as an excuse.

Basically, if there's an excuse to NOT workout, I find it. I need people to help me be motivated and stay driven in losing weight and being healthy. This process is so taxing and lonely where I am, that I just don't see the reason to even stick with it.

The exercise part is basically meaningless. It's not necessary to just lose weight.

Your problem is diet compliance.

Anyway, you will succeed only when succeeding becomes sufficiently important to you. You don't need motivation, you need discipline. You can't just be motivated 24/7 forever. You need the discipline to do it anyway even when you're not motivated, and that won't come until you want to be in shape more than you want to be lazy and overeat.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Motivation has to come from within. Encouragement comes from others. But others cannot *motivate* you.

Have you tried scheduling your workouts? Treat them like they are immovable appointments.

Make a "reward jar" - put a dollar in it every time you work out and set a goal (ie workout at least 20 days during the month of August, or lose 5 pounds, or run 50 miles in the month, or complete all 60 days of Insanity, or whatever). When you reach your goal, you take the money out of the jar and do something fun related to fitness with it (my rewards of choice are a new workout outfit, or a pedicure, or maybe an upgrade for my bike, or order a new workout program). You get the idea. Just NEVER reward yourself with food.

If you don't feel like working out (unless you are actually sick), start your workout and promise yourself that if, after 10 minutes, you STILL don't feel like working out, you can stop. 90% of the time, you'll finish the workout.

FIND workout buddies. they do NOT need to be local. I run fitness groups on Facebook all the time, and none of us are in the same location, but we check in with each other daily.

Another important factor is to find your "soulmate" workout. If you don't enjoy it, you won't do it (although make sure you give yourself a little time trying something out before you say you don't like it - I HATED running at first, but now I can honestly say that even if I don't particularly want to get started, once I'm out there, I do enjoy it - and I LOVE how I feel after). And your soulmate workout could be anything - swimming, running, biking, zumba, going to the gym, Insanity, P90X, etc. But you have to find what you really enjoy. :happy:
  • roddy1125
    Options
    I totally feel your pain. I work a lot of hours and use that as an excuse to skip workouts too. I just signed up here because I'm sick of weight watchers and I need a change... One thing that helped me with my workout struggles was signing up with a personal trainer. It is expensive but keeps me accountable for showing up for my workouts. If I don't show up, I still get charged so it forces me to leave the office even when I don't want to. Also, because of the cost, I'm not eating out as much and I have cut down on my nights out with friends (seriously, no need to drink on a Tuesday night!).

Whatever you do, don't give up. If you have a bad day, start fresh the next morning. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Have you tried this new thing called Calorie Deficit? It really works!