Negative calorie adjustment

Options
So i turned on negative calorie adjustment to see if it would help my Apple Watch to give me calories for my steps. I still do not understand why sometimes i see -12 or -17 in my step calculation? Why would it take calories away when i should be earning them??

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Actually that's exactly what negative adjustments do...they take away calories because you aren't moving enough to meet your maintenance calories, so MFP will lower your goal in order to ensure you aren't overeating
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    When I set up my Fitbit, it asked me what my typical activity level is. I also told mfp what my typical activity level is. So if I get a slow start to my day, and it looks like I'm not on pace to reach my activity level, it takes away some calories, so I can still maintain my deficit even though my activity is lower than expected. If I catch up later in the day, the negative adj will become a positive one.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You're going to get negative adjustments if your actual activity is less than you input as your activity level in MFP. Also, it's making assumptions about the rest of your day per that activity...which is kind of silly I think...but yeah, if you maybe have a slower start to your day and a synch happens you could negative adjustments because it's assuming you're going to be less active the rest of the day, even if you plan on running a marathon later.