Any advice to lose weight with chronic fatigue or depression?

Options
SisepuedeLinda
SisepuedeLinda Posts: 132 Member
edited July 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello, I have lost ~20 lbs in the past using this app but gained it back quickly! I recently found out i have hypercalcemia (excessive calcium in the blood) and hyperparathyroidism (overproduction of hormone in the parathyroid) and some symptoms are chronic fatigue, depression, bone pain, and more awful symptoms. Has anyone lost/is losing weight with any similar symptoms or illnesses? How did you do it?

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    So the only one of those things I have is depression. That said it's severe and chronic. I also have had four total knee surgeries, two within the past year and a half.

Having said that, for me it was a, "how do I do X thing while having depression?" as opposed to "how do I get rid of my depression so I can do X thing?" Essentially I had and am still having to learn how to live with my depression so that I can do the things that I want to do. I should note, it took years of therapy to come to that conclusion, but ultimately it was what worked in terms of becoming a more functional person.
  • Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I’m starting this journey to loose 30kg. I have ankylosing spondylitis and rheumatoid arthritis and suffer with chronic fatigue and high inflamation, joint pain mostly in my pelvis and back and low iron and b12 seem to be another thing that’s known to come with it. Iv also started showing symptoms of PCOS and insulin resistance but haven’t had it looked into. I’m hoping if I just loose weight then those symptoms will go away.
    I started yesterday but I find this app is really helping me, it’s especially easy just scanning the food barcodes. I have my iPhone step counter tracking my steps and I can see it as I go on my home page which helps push me along a bit. Chronic fatigue is the worse thing I have to deal with so I get that it’s hard. And I get it’s hard to find the energy to push but just do everything you can to continue and use this app almost as a game. I’m using it to challenge myself! It’s fun watching the counter! Not going to be fun seeing the calories after I have some bacon for lunch 🤣
  • xfc1
    xfc1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have chronic fatigue syndrome. I typically gain 1 kg a month. Initially I thought that was because my metabolism had slowed due to my spending so much time in bed, but then I realised that it's because I am tired all the time, and people are hungrier when tired.

As for losing weight, it's pretty much the same. Eat less and exercise, if you can. It doesn't make life easier having this illness , I know.
  • heatherharget
    heatherharget Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I’m starting this journey to loose 30kg. I have ankylosing spondylitis and rheumatoid arthritis and suffer with chronic fatigue and high inflamation, joint pain mostly in my pelvis and back and low iron and b12 seem to be another thing that’s known to come with it. Iv also started showing symptoms of PCOS and insulin resistance but haven’t had it looked into. I’m hoping if I just loose weight then those symptoms will go away.
    I started yesterday but I find this app is really helping me, it’s especially easy just scanning the food barcodes. I have my iPhone step counter tracking my steps and I can see it as I go on my home page which helps push me along a bit. Chronic fatigue is the worse thing I have to deal with so I get that it’s hard. And I get it’s hard to find the energy to push but just do everything you can to continue and use this app almost as a game. I’m using it to challenge myself! It’s fun watching the counter! Not going to be fun seeing the calories after I have some bacon for lunch 🤣

I am really finding that the app helps!. I have to do better in September once i go back to teaching.. its about planning.. and I cop out and eat crap
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    A plant-based diet is proven to be very effective for loosing weight and assisting in chronic fatigue syndrome and I know some people personally who it has worked for over SO many other forms of eating ((e.g. Cutting out gluten / cutting out the nightshade group etc)). Also, counting calories or keeping a food diary. I know it sounds simple but that's the easiest way to keep try. Maybe give plant based a try for 2 weeks / a month and see if it has any effect?? x
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have lost ~20 lbs in the past using this app but gained it back quickly! I recently found out i have hypercalcemia (excessive calcium in the blood) and hyperparathyroidism (overproduction of hormone in the parathyroid) and some symptoms are chronic fatigue, depression, bone pain, and more awful symptoms. Has anyone lost/is losing weight with any similar symptoms or illnesses? How did you do it?

Getting my Vitamin D levels up with D3, K2 and magnesium helped me with hypercalcemia and obesity that can lead to premature death. Over time I evolved into a more plant based WOE but that was not initially planned.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,434 Member
    Options

Getting my Vitamin D levels up with D3, K2 and magnesium helped me with hypercalcemia and obesity that can lead to premature death. Over time I evolved into a more plant based WOE but that was not initially planned.

Vitamin D3 increases calcium in serum.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

yirara wrote: »

You may want to revisit the chemistry and biological processes of the entire process.