Am I supposed to eat more than my daily calories if I work out

Hello
So I’m very confused. My daily calorie alotment is 1345. Now I do walk daily about 30 mins and on weekends I go for 2-3 hour bike rides. I can burn 1200 calories on each of these rides. I haven’t been eating over my daily ever and I thought I’d be losing weight quickly but I’m not. I’m lucky to lose 1 lb a week. I’m afraid to eat more cause I don’t want to gain weight. I have been successful in losing 35 lbs since Jan 2018 so I’m wondering how can I lose more than 1 lb a week

Replies

• HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    it depends on your settings - if you said you were sendentary, you are supposed to eat your exercise cals back (or at least some of them).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited July 2018
    it depends on your settings - if you said you were sendentary, you are supposed to eat your exercise cals back (or at least some of them).
    @HealthyGinny
    No that's not how it works - activity setting and exercise are completely independent when using MyFitnessPal as designed.
    Think of someone like my son who is a builder, he needs an active setting to account for his job, when he exercises he needs more calories on top of that.

Everyone's calorie goal, whatever their lifestyle/job activity setting, is plus exercise calories.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    What are your stats? How are you measuring your calorie intake? A pound a week is a good rate of loss and you may not want to aim for anything higher.

That said, yes you should be eating (at least some of) your exercise calories back. The walk may not be much, but you should be fueling your bike rides.