Tough Mudder

Options
Hi all-new here. I’m planning on doing tough mudder when it comes to central FL this October. I’ve been doing a lot more running, pull ups, and general endurance moves. Any one have any tips or stories to share?

Replies

• luniewicz
    luniewicz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Everything you're working on now is what I would suggest to anyone training for their first Tough Mudder! Keep it up and you'll do great. I have done four mudders in the past and they have all been so much fun. Good luck!!
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Mudders are great! Just download their free training plan and adjust to your needs. Good luck!
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I competed in an obstacle race last month. The location didn't allow for any mud pits, which was a bummer. I was glad I wore running pants that covered my knees & a copperfit elbow wrap, because there were a lot of skinned knees & elbows after the race.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! You'll have a blast!

These are setup so that almost anyone can finish them. Watch videos on obstacle course races and practice on a playground or whatever you have available. Any general calisthenics is sufficient, but it helps to practice form on monkey bars and the like.

For my first few I just used old running shoes and did fine, but invested in a good pair of trail runners once I caught the bug.

Keep an eye on weather and plan ahead on gear - wear long wool socks and clothes with good wicking/drainage. Good gloves help on climbing obstacles. Protection gear helps minimize rashes and scrapes.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Practice being able to pull yourself up over stuff - so things like ladders, jungle gyms, monkey bars, etc can be great tools.

Practice intervals - every obstacle course race I've ever done has gone something like this...
    run run run run... wait in line... do obstacle... run run run run... wait in line, do obstacle, run run run run... etc.

Lastly, because of all the waiting, be prepared to be out there longer than you think.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I’m volunteering as a first responder for one of these runs. I’ve never experienced this type of event, any advice? I’m well trained in first aid and cpr just inexperienced but want to learn and help, and hopefully, be inspired.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I’m volunteering as a first responder for one of these runs. I’ve never experienced this type of event, any advice? I’m well trained in first aid and cpr just inexperienced but want to learn and help, and hopefully, be inspired.

Heat exhaustion, heat stroke, over exertion, dehydration, would be high on the concern list. I've never seen any injury outside of a few scrapes and bruises personally.

Most people would need to sit down in shade, catch their breath, & drink some water. Watch for signs of disorientation. Highly dependent upon the environment and weather conditions.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Heat exhaustion, heat stroke, over exertion, dehydration, would be high on the concern list. I've never seen any injury outside of a few scrapes and bruises personally.

Most people would need to sit down in shade, catch their breath, & drink some water. Watch for signs of disorientation. Highly dependent upon the environment and weather conditions.

Agreed - definitely heat/exertion related problems.