Beginner's cycling program?

Options
jemhh
jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
edited July 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Is there a training program for cycling that anybody can recommend? Something like C25k for a bike? If not, can any experienced cyclists elaborate on how they worked up to greater distances? I'm not sure if there are certain guidelines to help with this (kind of like the advice to increase running by 10% per week.)

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What is your cycling goal?
    On road? Off road? Century rides? Commuting? A particular event in a certain timescale?

Most structured plans I've seen tend to assume you can do an hour already.
    British Heart Foundation run a very popular charity ride which attracts a lot of novices and their training resources are really good.
    https://www.bhf.org.uk/get-involved/events/london-to-brighton-bike-ride/training-zone/cycling-training-plans
    If that's not where you are yet then just time in the saddle and gently increasing your time/miles will get you there.
    Mostly easy speed rides but adding in some hills or speed work is useful.
    Most frequent mistakes by novices I see are:
    Badly set saddle height (normally too low).
    Poor use of gears.
    Cadence too low which causes muscle fatigue rather than keeping it high (80 - 100rpm for instance) and using your CV systems.
    Too timid on the road which leads to getting intimidated by other vehicle users.

Get comfortable, get confident, ride in nice places, push the distance up progressively. Percentages are good (and 10% is quite common) if you can do a reasonable distance already, not so relevant when you are just starting out when your endurance will come on in leaps and bounds in percentage terms.

My return to cycling was really just doing 7 mile loops quite frequently but very soon was up to 20 miles. Bought road tyres for my MTB to allow me to go further/faster in more challenging terrain. Worked up to 60 charity events.
    Bought a faster hybrid - worked up to a Century.
    Bought a road bike and got faster and went further.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,876 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    The 10% thing applies to cycling too. It can be 10% per week, or it can be 10% on your weekly "long" ride.

I've been cycling since I was 6 years old, but I did ease back quite a bit between 17 and 23. Then on April 29, 1990, I did my first ride after having not ridden in some time. I had been walking quite a bit and thought I was in pretty good shape, set up my bicycle, hopped on, and managed 2 miles, with a break at the 1 mile point.

I was so disappointed in myself!!

But I stuck with it, and gradually increased my distance, and by mid-August, I did a 50 mile ride.

And I've just kept going since then.

Once you get up to longer distances (like 100 mile rides), you can start making larger leaps than 10% because it comes down to things like perfect bicycle fit, all the right equipment, and nutrition.

In the beginning, pick 1 day to increase a bit each week. If 2 miles is your starting distance, as it was with me, do 2 miles the first week, 3 miles the second week, 4 miles the third week, 4.5 miles the 4th week, 5 miles the 5th week, and so on. Roughly.

On 3-4 days during the week, ride about half that distance each time. So if you're up to 5 miles on your long day, do 2.5 miles on those other 3-4 days.

It doesn't have to be exact, but that's a decent starting point.

Later, you might want to mix things up to include intervals and hill repeats and things, but I wouldn't worry about those for a while. Unless, of course, you're already comfortable with decent distances.

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I'm not a cycling expert, but I ride a fair bit (100-130 mpw) as part of my training plan. If you are very new to cycling and your goal is simply to build endurance to ride greater distances, then its mostly a matter of increasing your time in the saddle. You'll build up both your leg muscles and increase your overall comfort and tolerance for maintaining the riding position, (Hands, neck, back, butt, etc.)

As an example, you could plan to ride 3 times/week, and include one longer ride each week. I think the concept you note above about not more than a 10% increase in the long ride each week is a good rule of thumb. You could make bigger jumps in mileage, but that will probably result in fatigue and soreness during the latter portions of a long ride. If you're not building for a specific event, then I'd say there's no reason to feel rushed. You'll probably be surprised at how quickly you are able to build volume, once you've become comfortable on your bike.

Finally, regarding comfort, a bike that fits you properly makes a huge difference in comfort. If you're having soreness or numbness in hands, feet, neck, butt, etc, check with your local bike shop or bike fitter for potential adjustments. Hope that helps.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Wow, thank you for the info!
    sijomial wrote: »
    On road? Off road? Century rides? Commuting? A particular event in a certain timescale?

I prefer off road, though I'm not totally against on road. We have a nice bike and hike trail but I'm not entirely sure just how far we can go (total miles) on it. I'd like to be able to make a day of it--maybe ride a couple of hours, eat, return. Overall, I'm looking for a way to be active outside, on top of walking/hiking, preferably something that we can do as a family or couple. A few summers ago I was into running but it doesn't really appeal to me now plus my husband has some knee problems and shouldn't be running regularly. He cycles some for work so this is something I know is okay for him.

I'm not opposed to training for an event in the future but I haven't even looked to see what there is. This is a very new activity for me. (I've cycled since I was a kid but in my adult years it has been sporadic.) Right now we mostly go for family bike rides of 4-5 miles but those are very stop and go because my daughter is new on the bike and pretty much finds a reason why we have to pause every 10 minutes. Sometimes my husband and I get out alone, though, like last night when we went just under 8 miles.

I'll read through everything again this evening. Thanks again for the info!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    What kind of bike do you have?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Mostly it comes down to more time on the bike. I feel like that's probably the answer to all of life's problems - spend more time on your bike. You can add time to individual rides or to weekly/monthly totals depending on your schedules and preference. I'm hesitant to say "x % per y time period" because there are so many more variables MTBing vs road riding... but you're smart enough to not go crazy (right?), so just ride more.

Off-road adds some challenges that on-road doesn't... in most cases it's addressed on a challenge-by-challenge basis, and improvement comes with practice and technique.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any programs other than actual get ready for a race program. I just spent more time in the saddle. I don't know that the 10% increase really applies...cycling is much easier on the body than running.

I just upped my mileage to the point that I was getting an hour in 4 days during the week and then increased time in the saddle on my weekend rides.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Wow, thank you for the info!
    sijomial wrote: »

I prefer off road, though I'm not totally against on road. We have a nice bike and hike trail but I'm not entirely sure just how far we can go (total miles) on it. I'd like to be able to make a day of it--maybe ride a couple of hours, eat, return. Overall, I'm looking for a way to be active outside, on top of walking/hiking, preferably something that we can do as a family or couple. A few summers ago I was into running but it doesn't really appeal to me now plus my husband has some knee problems and shouldn't be running regularly. He cycles some for work so this is something I know is okay for him.

I'm not opposed to training for an event in the future but I haven't even looked to see what there is. This is a very new activity for me. (I've cycled since I was a kid but in my adult years it has been sporadic.) Right now we mostly go for family bike rides of 4-5 miles but those are very stop and go because my daughter is new on the bike and pretty much finds a reason why we have to pause every 10 minutes. Sometimes my husband and I get out alone, though, like last night when we went just under 8 miles.

I'll read through everything again this evening. Thanks again for the info!

That's a lovely goal.
    (My knees are a mess too but cycling 100 miles does less harm to them than 1 mile of running, having a cartilage in a glass jar instead of my knee does that for me. ;) )

Good bike shorts, good bike set up, working up the duration steadily and enjoying your ride will get you to your goal.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Mostly it comes down to more time on the bike. I feel like that's probably the answer to all of life's problems - spend more time on your bike.

yep! although we also sail. more time doing these things, less on other stuff, LOL.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't know of any programs other than actual get ready for a race program. I just spent more time in the saddle. I don't know that the 10% increase really applies...cycling is much easier on the body than running.

I just upped my mileage to the point that I was getting an hour in 4 days during the week and then increased time in the saddle on my weekend rides.

I mean I do really like trainer road but I don't know that it would necessarily but appropriate for the OP's purposes for a number of reasons. It is useful in terms of regaining strength inside and riding structured workouts inside. Basically, I would recommend them to someone who isn't a terribly experienced recreational rider if a. it was the winter or the otherwise didn't want to/couldn't ride outside, b. they had ample ability to amuse themselves on a trainer, c. they had the ability to spend half an hour in the saddle and d. they had a speed sensor and a trainer supported by TR for virtual power.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    British Cycling has an 8 week sofa to 50k plan. I've never used any of their plans but I suspect all of them are good, that one included. Otherwise I suggest what everyone else has said, more time in the saddle.

I don't totally remember what I first did when I started getting into cycling as an adult but it essentially consisted of upping my milage weekly. If I didn't feel super great I would keep it the same, and up it when I felt ready.

When I came back to cycling from knee surgery the last two times, which included six weeks non weight bearing, I got on the trainer and started at 20 minutes of very light riding once I was able to bend my knee enough (as in, only enough resistance to allow myself to not have a sloppy stroke). I went up in time gradually to 45 minutes and then started doing structured workouts on the trainer.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Have you already got a fitting?
  • jemhh
    Options
    What kind of bike do you have?
    Have you already got a fitting?

This is my bike. I haven't had a fitting. What is involved/what is the purpose?

I do have my seat high enough! My husband has been through cycling training for work and has us all in line with that.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Looks like it has disc brakes and tires that are plenty wide enough for gravel and probably even trail use. You mentioned wanting to go off road earlier, and it looks like you have a good bike for that. :smile:

A fitting may or may not be necessary, but it's usually a good thing to have done when you get a bike or into cycling. It involves adjusting the saddle height and for/aft, possibly moving your handlebars a little, stuff to make the bike more comfortable for you. Your hubby probably eyeballed it for you. If you find you need more than that, your health insurance will pay for a PT to set your bike up for you. It's not an impact sport like running, but the wrong posture can hurt after a prolonged time.