Eating Too Little?

jaymeeliz
jaymeeliz Posts: 4 Member
Does eating way below your daily calorie goal bad for losing weight? MFP calculated that I need to eat 1660 calories a day but sometimes I just don't feel hungry to consume all the 1660 calories. Sometimes I can only eat 1000 calories plus exercise. Will this be harmful for my weight loss goal?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    it isn't harmful to your weight loss goal (other than when you realise you're starving yourself and start bingeing), but it may well be harmful to your health if you do it for extended period of time.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    1000 net calories is not nearly enough if you're exercising. If you are struggling with your calorie intake, include some calorie dense foods (i.e. foods that are higher calorie for smaller amounts) to up your intake a bit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Undereating that leads to rebound overeating, and incorrect logging that makes it look like you're eating less than you actually are, can both prevent weightloss. Consistency doesn't mean doing exactly the same day after day.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    The keyword is "sometimes". Yes, it's fine sometimes. A bonus is that you get to use these unused calories when you have a hungrier day or feel like eating something heavier in calories. Doing it all the time is not good, though.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    jaymeeliz wrote: »
    Does eating way below your daily calorie goal bad for losing weight? MFP calculated that I need to eat 1660 calories a day but sometimes I just don't feel hungry to consume all the 1660 calories. Sometimes I can only eat 1000 calories plus exercise. Will this be harmful for my weight loss goal?

So, as others have stated....not necessarily, but it depends! I hate to give - at best - a super vague and ambiguous answer.

I mention this part only because (A) I do it and (B) it can potentially help with PCOS.....have you looked at the Ketogenic Diet? Have you discussed that with your OB/GYN? It *could* be something that might help - in several ways.

Now, back to your more specific question.....

Food is fuel....food is energy. Your body needs a certain amount of energy - each and every day - to do the things that it does so that you continue to function. Over time, if you neglect feeding yourself (aka, consuming energy) the body - which is designed to do two things, essentially....(1) survive and (2) adapt - will start shutting down "non-essential" sub-systems (think of a woman's reproductive cycle...that is often higher up the list). So, if you were to consistently underfeed then you would start to experience this.

Key is.....consistently. So, every now and again will not necessarily hurt you (and please take that statement in the context of what we are discussing). As long as there are no unhealthy relationships with food or the scale (or several other things...) then you - all things being equal - will be okay.

WinoGelato makes some godo points....so, what she said! :-)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

So, as others have stated....not necessarily, but it depends! I hate to give - at best - a super vague and ambiguous answer.

I mention this part only because (A) I do it and (B) it can potentially help with PCOS.....have you looked at the Ketogenic Diet? Have you discussed that with your OB/GYN? It *could* be something that might help - in several ways.

Food is fuel....food is energy. Your body needs a certain amount of energy - each and every day - to do the things that it does so that you continue to function. Over time, if you neglect feeding yourself (aka, consuming energy) the body - which is designed to do two things, essentially....(1) survive and (2) adapt - will start shutting down "non-essential" sub-systems (think of a woman's reproductive cycle...that is often higher up the list). So, if you were to consistently underfeed then you would start to experience this.

Key is.....consistently. So, every now and again will not necessarily hurt you (and please take that statement in the context of what we are discussing). As long as there are no unhealthy relationships with food or the scale (or several other things...) then you - all things being equal - will be okay.

Thanks!

But curious why you bring up PCOS when OP says nothing of it in the first post?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Thanks!

Good and very fair question....

I looked at her profile. Whenever I answer someone I *almost always* look at their profile for a quick second.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

Thanks!

I looked at her profile. Whenever I answer someone I *almost always* look at their profile for a quick second.

Gotcha! I almost always am on the mobile app and the link to profile has not worked in years so I’m always operating on just what is mentioned in the OP.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105

Thanks!

Gotcha! I almost always am on the mobile app and the link to profile has not worked in years so I’m always operating on just what is mentioned in the OP.

Agreed! And very good point. I am in the office a lot [I work in IT.....please do not call me an "IT Guy"! I am a guy that simply does IT! :-)] and use a browser when in the office. Outside of that, I am on my smart phone. And you are correct! Not saying this in an ugly way, but it seems to me that there are several things with MFP that just don't work. But, not going there.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    I agree with the calorie dense food. My favorite way to get in my calories is with almonds, cashews, or any type of nut. Usually if I'm low at the end of the day I'll go for an apple or banana w/almond butter.